How old is Franklin

JakeM

Hello everyone,
New account owner but long time lurker of this forum. Any way i had gotten a new redfoot tortoise named Franklin. My mom had gotten me him spur of the moment because she knew I had been doing a ton of research and was already getting ready to buy my own RF. He had been at a pet store in a small box and my mom felt bad for him so she bought him and brought him home to me as my 22nd b-day present. I had wanted to buy a baby from a breeder but iam happy to give Franklin a better home than the box he had. Long story short the guy at the pet store told my mom he was a year to a year and a half old and I just have a really hard time believing that since he is around 8" long. My question is can a red foot get that big in that short time and if not around how old should he be. I know there isn't really a true way to know but any info would be great thank you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello everyone,
New account owner but long time lurker of this forum. Any way i had gotten a new redfoot tortoise named Franklin. My mom had gotten me him spur of the moment because she knew I had been doing a ton of research and was already getting ready to buy my own RF. He had been at a pet store in a small box and my mom felt bad for him so she bought him and brought him home to me as my 22nd b-day present. I had wanted to buy a baby from a breeder but iam happy to give Franklin a better home than the box he had. Long story short the guy at the pet store told my mom he was a year to a year and a half old and I just have a really hard time believing that since he is around 8" long. My question is can a red foot get that big in that short time and if not around how old should he be. I know there isn't really a true way to know but any info would be great thank you.
Around 4 to 5 yrs old if captive bred.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Tyvm after the research I did I assumed he was somewhere between 5-8. I am assuming he was captive bred. He is exactly 8" long after measuring him
You will never know for sure, I have three between 6 and 7" and are 3yrs old.

JakeM

You will never know for sure, I have three between 6 and 7" and are 3yrs old.
Ik there is no way to truly know I just wanted a general range I can work with. I am going to be getting 2 females from a friend who is moving and won't have enough room to house them appropriately. I just wanted to see around what age he is so ik when he might be able to breed. The two females are 10 years old and they were raised from hatchlings so I don't have to guess with them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
When i adopted mine he was almost 4 years old and about 8 inches scl.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Mine are about 5 1/4 inches and they are 15 months.