IS FRANKLIN BLIND???

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
Ok so as everyone knows I have had problems with Franklin in the past. He has been doing much better but he is still eating very little. My hubby seen him a couple of times try to get his food when I wasn't around. I usually help him. I put him right near the food and then pick the food up and feed him. So I have't really noticed this till today when I put the food in the enclosure then I put him near it and he was trying to eat the food BUT wasn't close to the food. He was trying to eat the plate. So should I bring him back to the vet to see if he is blind BUT they can't do anything for being blind... Right?
I have never dealt with a blind pet before (if he is).........

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Being blind isn't a death sentence, not to worry! But first, I haven't checked your old posts, but are you using the correct bulbs for lighting (if you've covered that, nevermind)? That can damage eyes. Also, what are you using to feed your tortoise? I find when I use a red/bright dish, it really confuses my tortoise and he can do silly things like that.

Does he act blind in other ways? Bumping into things?

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Pokeymeg said:
Being blind isn't a death sentence, not to worry! But first, I haven't checked your old posts, but are you using the correct bulbs for lighting (if you've covered that, nevermind)? That can damage eyes. Also, what are you using to feed your tortoise? I find when I use a red/bright dish, it really confuses my tortoise and he can do silly things like that.

Does he act blind in other ways? Bumping into things?
[/

The bulbs are covered. That isn't the problem.
For the dish that is bright yellow. So he can see it.

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Nottingham
Re: RE: IS FRANKLIN BLIND???

ILoveTortoises2 said:
Ok so as everyone knows I have had problems with Franklin in the past. He has been doing much better but he is still eating very little. My hubby seen him a couple of times try to get his food when I wasn't around. I usually help him. I put him right near the food and then pick the food up and feed him. So I have't really noticed this till today when I put the food in the enclosure then I put him near it and he was trying to eat the food BUT wasn't close to the food. He was trying to eat the plate. So should I bring him back to the vet to see if he is blind BUT they can't do anything for being blind... Right?
I have never dealt with a blind pet before (if he is).........

I don't think he's blind, my two torts do the same thing they bite the sides of the bowls afew times before actually grasping it foods abit further away.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Well the thing is that Franklin will start biting in the air like I was feeding him and holding it up for him but I wasn't holding it for him. Like today he was right near the food and trying to bite it but wasn't near the food with his mouth he was somewhere different.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
I have a Russian tort and he does this too- bites at the air. It happens when he's eating. I know my tort is not blind. I believe they don't see well up close, at least that's what I've heard/read.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Ok so maybe it is that. I'm hoping he isn't. I'm going to watch him tomorrow move certain way see if his eyes move watching me and other signs. I really hope this is just him being silly biting the air because my hubby is the one that saw this I didn't till today.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
You could try adding some fragrant food in his food bowl. Torts have a good sense of smell - It may help him hone in on his food bowl.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Pokeymeg said:
You could try adding some fragrant food in his food bowl. Torts have a good sense of smell - It may help him hone in on his food bowl.

Hibiscus work well as a fragrant food. But they can be hard to get around winter time

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I know as far as Cooper and Ophelia go, any movements in front on there faces almost always make them hide in the shell for a few. And Cooper is very use to movement so that's the best indicator I can think of as a way to check eye sight. Best of luck.....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
K' .....Not to panic as I have seen this many times before with several different species of hatchling/young tortoises. Let me ask you ….do you see this behavior when under both artificial lights and natural sunlight? It also seems to be a “ learned” trait….as hatchlings right out of the egg will not eat for about a week ….and when fed alone still has trouble figuring out what to do with this clump of green in front of them …. Now when lined up with other torts just a few weeks older who already are “aware” that this green heap I’m giving them is food…I swear the younger torts will watch them and then follow suit with the “eating regime” .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you house him with another tort (pair)? I would separate them if you do...I also would plan to hand feed him for awhile and when you prep food, make the pile higher than his eye level and place it in a corner of the enclosure so the corner serves as a barrier to support the food and give something for the tort to use to press the food against while trying to get it into its mouth,.....I would plan for this to take a few months for you to see he can work it out on his own....:D

Honeymomo

5 Year Member
My stars some times bite in the aor around the food so i think it isnormal

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Right now he isn't in the huge enclosure with Lily & Sherbert he is in his own big enclosure just because of problems he has had before. So I still have him separated from the others. My other torts (Lily & Sherbert) do well together & eat all the time. When he does eat he is biting the air. But maybe it is because he is still a hatchling like Jeff said. So I guess I'm a little confused on this one. I will try the fragrance idea and see if this helps. I do feel bad because he isn't with my other little torts he is all alone. Lily & Franklin used to cuddle (LITERALLY) He would wake up when she did eat when she did (SOMETIMES) and walk around when she did.
So I'll see how it goes for a few days so I can see if these ideas will work for him. I'll stack his food high as well. Because it is sometimes low because he steps on it or walks on it lol. So yeah I'll see how it goes and let everyone know how he is doing in a couple of days. Thanks so much everyone for your input & help :)