Blind hatchling

Heather White

No I didnt read that yet. Thank you I took last hatcing In. Only planned on 2. Left 3 last one behind

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Keep track of the weights of all the tortoises and if the blind one is not gaining like the others than separate him and give him a place of his own. I don't know if you'll have to chop up the food for him or not, he might be able to eat it without it being chopped up. Just give it a try and see.

Bee62

Germany
Would you please keep us updatet here, Heather, what happend with your blind little guy ?
I think we are all interested to learn more about disabled torts.

Heather White

Keep track of the weights of all the tortoises and if the blind one is not gaining like the others than separate him and give him a place of his own. I don't know if you'll have to chop up the food for him or not, he might be able to eat it without it being chopped up. Just give it a try and see.

Heather White

Yes he seems to find his way to food . He is alot smaller than other hatchlings, its just sad watching him cruise blind

Bee62

Germany
How did he cruise ? If there is something in his way, did he recognize it before he touch it, or is he running into things ?

Heather White

Yes,he runs into things, I keep food dishes water dishes at outside of home. He seems to smell where food is

Bee62

Germany
A blind dog can recognize things with his nose. A blind cat with the long hairs around his mouth, but a blind tortoise ?
But I know that blind animals need a surroundings that never changes. Every thing must be equal all times.
Mayby your little guy learns where walls or other things are. Like a little child he must learn. I wish he will !

Yes, and he surely smell where food is. That`s what all tortoises do. Mayby you can offer him food on a flat big stone or plate. And all tortoises walk into their food. That`s normal.:)

Heather White

Yes, thank you. Im ginna love him do best I can. I had sick hatchling before spent alot of money at vet. This seems different

Bee62

Germany
I know that you will love him and treat him as good as you can.
Otherwise you would not have choosen him. And you are right, this is not a sickness that can be treaten by a VET. No medicine can help the little guy.
But you ! That you don`t have left him behind.
I wish you and the little tort very much luck.
And please don`t forget to write if he develop. Thank you.

Sabine

Heather White

Yes, thank you. I do believe ge is truly blind fir some reason. Not sick. Thanks for the support

Heather White

Attachments

• 20170310_132159.jpg
    20170310_132159.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11

Bee62

Germany
Hello Heather,

I am glad that your little blind guy is alive. I know you do the best for him.
Sorry, but I can say nothing to the weeds from your picture, but I hope some other member can tell you something about it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Blind guy is still with me, I put him in separate tank sometimes to feed, he is still so much smaller than his brothers .
It's great he's managing.
Small is okay as long as he's showing steady growth.
He's probably best off kept alone full time.