How old is my Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone could tell me approximately how old Gupta looks? I have been trying to figure out if he is growing at a good pace
I will try to post good pictures of how much growth he has had on his shell from when I first got him to now.
This is around when I first got him.
smallguptaandlectuce.jpg

smallguptaeating.jpg

And this is how he looks now
img4253l.jpg

img4277u.jpg

img42131dragged2.png

I was trying to get the best angles to show any growth he has had.
I got him around the 11th of September, and those picture were all taken very recently.
The man who sold me Gupta said he was around one to two weeks old. Just getting in his first new growth.

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
Mine are a little over a year old and they're about the same size as yours.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I would go with what the guy you got him from told you. He looks a couple months old...

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
tjwrnglr said:

I don't want to offend u but r u sure yours are a year old ? Because if so and they r the size of mine then they must be just very small because mine at most is three month old. I just wanted to make sure he was a good size for a three month.
Mine is about one and half inches long to two inches long .
Can I see some pictures of yours please ?

Thanks for the quick replys everyone, I just wanted to make sure that he was the appropriate size and growing well. :)

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I say around 3 maybe four months, I emailed the place I got Sully from found out he is now eight weeks old, so in my opinion comparing mine to yours I'd say yours is about a minth older than mine, but u know they say that the Sulcata growth rate varies very widely.. How much does gupta weigh?

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:
tjwrnglr said:

I don't want to offend u but r u sure yours are a year old ? Because if so and they r the size of mine then they must be just very small because mine at most is three month old. I just wanted to make sure he was a good size for a three month.
Mine is about one and half inches long to two inches long .
Can I see some pictures of yours please ?

Thanks for the quick replys everyone, I just wanted to make sure that he was the appropriate size and growing well. :)

Ok then, sorry. Mine are about 3" long. Yours don't look that small though. Guess we need something else in the pic for reference. Maybe a quarter or a dollar bill. :D

IM18694.jpg

Mine are about 2.5" long in this pic, took it when they were about 6 months. They're a little over a yr old now and they're 3" long

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Your tortoises are so pretty! Thanks for posting that , I can use that as a reference for around how he Is suppose to look at 6 months :)
I am going to start him a little tortoise book where I weigh him and measure him weekly and so I can keep track of how old he is lol

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Thats exactly what I do, have a little book and record his weight and everything, I like to write in little things he does and he likes and dislikes, I think its gonna be fun to look back and see everything about him as a hatchling, like having a baby book for a tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to guess 2-3 months old before I saw the last part of your post. What does he weigh?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
Thats exactly what I do, have a little book and record his weight and everything, I like to write in little things he does and he likes and dislikes, I think its gonna be fun to look back and see everything about him as a hatchling, like having a baby book for a tortoise

That's a really good idea , I can print out pictures and put them In there and everything. Awesome ! Thanks so much :D

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Sorry it took me so long to get back on how much he weighed , I had to go get a scale.
He weighs 52 grams ! :)
Is that a good weight??

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
Bowser was hatched in August and he weighs in at about 89grams now and Peach was hatched in September and she weighs 67 grams...all Sullys grow at different rates so it's kind of hard to gauge age or health off the initial weight.But now that you have a scale weighing once a week would be good make sure those grams keep going up and he is eating plenty I healthy foods. :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the quick answers you guys!
I started a scrap book of Gupta with pictures and weekly weights and measurements :) that was a really good idea from everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.