Gupta never drinks water during soaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I have read a lot of threads on here that all say when their tortoises get soaked that the first thing they usually do is straight drink the water, so much that some people think that soaking for anymore than 15 minutes is bad. Gupta has never drank during his soaks , never not once, is this bad or abnormal?
He has a shallow bowl of water in his cage but even when he didn't and I soaked him everyday he still never drank.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
My two Redfoots rarely ever drink when I soak them, all they do is fight as hard as they can to get out of the cool whip containers they're soaking in. I've watched them drink out of their water dish(es) in their enclosure, so I've resorted to soakings only 1-2 times/week. As long as they're in that water, they should be absorbing water through their cloaca and some other soft portions of their skin.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
BrinnANDGupta said:
I have read a lot of threads on here that all say when their tortoises get soaked that the first thing they usually do is straight drink the water, so much that some people think that soaking for anymore than 15 minutes is bad. Gupta has never drank during his soaks , never not once, is this bad or abnormal?
He has a shallow bowl of water in his cage but even when he didn't and I soaked him everyday he still never drank.

Sonne does not drink in his soak either.. but when he sees is water bowl right after his soak he will take a big drink :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice :) its weird though because I have never even seen him drink from the water bowl in his cage. He use to not even have one because i soaked him everyday annd he still didn't drink during the soak. :/ He can sit and soak in water underneath a nice heat light for an hour but never drink lol

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My Leopards never drink in their soak's and they almost immediately poop so I guess that is good! My Sully does drink in his soak's, he duck's his whole head in and drink's for a long time. I think every tort is different.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:

Franklin doesnt drink much either in his soak, he actually uses his warm soak to relax and poop. So he gets more h2o time, i put a ceramic dinner plate under his basking light. He lays in it almost the whole time basking. The water absorbs in his skin that way, but i've also seen him drink it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Up until this summer I had never seen Vegas drink water, he always had access to water but I had never seen him physically drink. He has never been dehydrated so I always knew he was drinking when I wasn't around.

So just keep in mind that they do a lot of stuff when we are not around.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
During my Sullys first soak the day I got him he drank, buried his head and drank, since then and I soak daily I have never seen him drink, not even out of his water dish, that doesn't mean he doesn't drink at some point when I'm not looking, who knows.. He is thriving, gaining 2-3 grams per week, nice smooth growth, I always serve him freshly washed greens/grasses, always moist, so he gets water from that then there is the humidity in the enclosure, I wish I could see him drink but I dont worry as long as he continues to thrive

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The people who say that are the people who don't soak daily and don't offer a water bowl, or at least an accessible water bowl. Their torts drink immediately upon contact with water because they are darn thirsty. None of my hatchlings or babies that get soaked daily ever drink in their soaks. Once they get 6-12 months and have some good size, I start soaking them less often and leave them out in the hot dry air more often and longer. After these long sunning sessions, my juvies and yearlings will sometimes take a drink in a soak.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
My RT's drink every time I soak them every other day. They also have a water dish.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Awww thank you so much this makes me feel way better about never seeing him drink. He lives in live 87-92% humidity and has access to two water bowls and I soak him daily for like a 30 minutes miniumum in warm water. I just wanted to make sure it was normal lol

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Kobe does the same thing. If I stick him in his "soak" bucket, he just freezes up in this deer-in-headlights expression and does nothing until I remove him, save for the occasional defecation. But if I stick his front legs in his water dish in his tank, he'll drink up.

Toby the RF, on the other hand, will drink nearly anytime he's around water.

Status
Not open for further replies.