My Tortoise Never Drinks Water...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heather.annie43

5 Year Member
I am worried about my sulcata tortoise, I have never seen him actually drink water. We made a little pond area in our back yard, and a water dish just in case. He's an adult about 90lbs, and I have never physically seen him drink water. I have read that some dont drink unless they are in the water, so I hauled him into the pond and he hated it. He freaked out and tried to escape. I was wondering what your thoughts are about his non drinking habit. All animals need water!!! Help!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Are you sure he is not getting water or soaking when your not around? Is what he is eating high in water content?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree it is more than likely not thirsty and adults are notorious for not liking to be forced soaked. I would assume it is drinking when you are not around, could we see some pics of it's enclosure?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am gonna guess that you are just never around when your tortoise chooses to drink.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
I was worried about the same thing, in till I realized after all these years he must be drinking something lol :)

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
I have only seen mine drink once or twice, but I know they go in the water to at least soak because they dirty it up. I wouldn't worry unless you see signs of dehydration ; )

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Mine would visibly drink for several weeks when I got him, he also had gritty urates too, now that he's been with me long enough, no drinking, and rarely any urates. I think it's a sign of good health and hydration.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you watchim 24 /7 he could drink when you are not looking, or get plenty of moisture fomr his food and grazing..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I rarely see any of my adults drink either. The only way I know they do is because I use a five gallon pizza dough tray for a waterer and when one drinks the thing goes about half way down. Most days the water level hardly drops at all, but when one takes a drink its obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.