How old is this turtle?

CDBJJ

Location (City and/or State)
Portland ME
2B0B2DB0-B40E-432F-B4BA-796E842AAADA.jpeg 0F1035F4-9DF4-49A0-911B-8D911DB77748.jpeg 3D71E18C-1825-44FF-8BE2-18B682A671A7.jpeg This is my male red cheeked mud I haven’t had him for long. Wondering how old you all might think he is? he is captive bred (from what I am told) and I got him from turtles and tortoises inc. He also looks like he wasn’t cared for well at some point (or at all) in his lifetime which might make him look older I guess. Shows some shell rot, his shell has been damaged somehow in two spots. His beak his overgrown probably from a poor diet. A more important question, he has or had shellrot on his plastron but it looks like it maybe treated and healed what do you think? Should I treat him anyways?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Old trooper for sure. But not an old fossil.
His shell is worn, but I cannot see any active shell rot. Time and wear, nothing else.
Treat for shell rot prophylacticly by dry docking and applying fungal cream for jock itch...a couple days at a time, then clean off residual cream afterwards. Repeat twice.
Quarantine is always a priority so take time and do things right.
Turtles and Tortoises inc. is a decent outfit so no worries there.
Probably a long term captive import.
Make a good home for him and he will reward you with fertile eggs

CDBJJ

Portland ME
Ok thanks. He looked like he had some age to me! He’s a really neat turtle, I enjoy keeping him. I should also Mention I do recommend T and T. I really have no issues with t and t I’m happy with my turtles. I feel bad about his beak and the small hole on the outer edge of his carapace. but that comes with the age, I knew when buying a full grown adult what I would be getting . I’ve heard red cheeks can fight a lot so I’m sure he’s had a few.