How should I disinfect the old "infected" home?

cdb78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone,

I recently got a baby Leopard (probably 4 months old) from a reptile store because I didn't really know any better. About 3 weeks in, I was pretty sure it had a respiratory infection (thanks to all the wonderful info in this forum). I took him to an exotic animal vet. Turns out he had pneumonia (though not caused by mycoplasm) and conjunctivitis so we started treating with injection antibiotics and a topical for the conjunctivitis. He improved quickly because we caught it quick. When I went back for a follow up and more meds a week later, he pooped a lot at the vet and they found parasites that I'm now treating with Pancor (sp?). He's been in a smaller cage with papertowels as a substrate while he's on the mend but now it's time to set up his cage again. I have 2 more weeks until he's done being treated for the parasites so I'd like to have a bacteria and parasite-free enclosure ready to go. I can't seem to find any information on the best way to disinfect an enclosure. Please see my items below:

1) 40 gallon acquarium with a screen top (that I cover with blankets for now)

2) 2 Zoo Med Reptile Habba Hut half log hides (different sizes) - I really don't know how to clean these

3) Zoo Med Repti Ramp (plastic)

4) Zoo Med Repti Rock water dish (plastic)

The rest will be dumped and a new substrate added.

I guess I'm wondering if I can simply bleach the tank (because there is plenty of time for all fumes to dissipate) and what to do with the logs. I assume I can also bleach the plastic items but I just don't want the little guy to get sick from something I do.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diluted Bleach water is what I would use in this case. Let sit for some time and then rinse several times really well. As for the wood half logs, I think I would replace them, too risky.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dilute ammonia is actually a better disinfectant for our purposes than bleach.

1. Throw away the half logs ramp and repti-stuff. Those are not great anyway. Use terra cotta saucers for food and water and use a plastic tub for a humid hide.
2. Scrub the tank and lid with hot water and dish soap. Rinse well.
3. Spray everything with your 10-20% dilute bleach solution and keep it wet for 20-30 minutes.
4. Rinse well and let it dry in the sun.

What are you using for night heat? They don't just get RIs. Something caused it. Treating the symptoms is great. Discovering and fixing the cause is better.

Have you seen these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

cdb78

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Dilute ammonia is actually a better disinfectant for our purposes than bleach.

1. Throw away the half logs ramp and repti-stuff. Those are not great anyway. Use terra cotta saucers for food and water and use a plastic tub for a humid hide.
2. Scrub the tank and lid with hot water and dish soap. Rinse well.
3. Spray everything with your 10-20% dilute bleach solution and keep it wet for 20-30 minutes.
4. Rinse well and let it dry in the sun.

What are you using for night heat? They don't just get RIs. Something caused it. Treating the symptoms is great. Discovering and fixing the cause is better.

Have you seen these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

cdb78

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your reply. I did scrub the tub with dish soap and hot water and then put a bleach dilution (I read this after and don't have ammonia currently) in there after and let it sit for a while (I'm studying so probably more like 45 minutes). I've rinsed it a couple times and plan to rinse again some more in a bit (I'm paranoid).

When I first got him, I didn't cover the screen and he didn't have a night heat source. After reading the forum a bunch, I started to cover and went and got him a mini dome with the red light. I keep my condo at 75 typically but I was afraid he was getting drafts from the AC (I'm in Phoenix) and that's when I started covering him.

The vet thinks he possibly had something when he left the pet store and the stress and probably drop in temperature in the beginning just brought it out. I upgraded his heating and humidity and started monitoring it better after reading your care sheets and the vet thinks the husbandry should be fine now to keep him healthy. He recommended some changes in the environment (and I will implement your dish suggestions too) and feels Voldetort should be fine going forward. Unfortunately, I went out of pocket on some unnecessary items in the beginning and am slowly trying to upgrade his home based on suggestions from you guys.

Do you think the Repti stuff is OK to keep (after fully disinfecting) for his "travel tub" that I have for when I go out of town and take him to a friend's? I hate to just throw all that money away and that's a temporary home for him when needed but will if necessary. I envisioned leaving that one ready to go just in case (which luckily isn't all that often).

Lastly, am I crazy to believe the vet when he says this is probably the only problems I'll see for a long time if the husbandry is maintained properly? As far as I heard, they are the best around and he is a reptile expert that is often teaching and part of research.

Thanks again!!!! it's great that you share you enthusiasm and knowledge with us.

cdb78

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Diluted Bleach water is what I would use in this case. Let sit for some time and then rinse several times really well. As for the wood half logs, I think I would replace them, too risky.
Thanks Wellington!!! I appreciated your quick response as I kinda wanted to get started right away!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Show us a pic of the Repti bowl and ramp. If its what I think it is, they are dangerous and should not be used.

If you maintain temps correctly, he should hopeful recover and not have any more problems.

I don't like the red bulbs for night because it messes with their little heads. Can you imagine if your whole house was lit up all night with red bulbs. Weird, huh? CHEs set on a thermostat work better.

cdb78

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Show us a pic of the Repti bowl and ramp. If its what I think it is, they are dangerous and should not be used.

If you maintain temps correctly, he should hopeful recover and not have any more problems.

I don't like the red bulbs for night because it messes with their little heads. Can you imagine if your whole house was lit up all night with red bulbs. Weird, huh? CHEs set on a thermostat work better.

I was thinking those bulbs would be annoying. I'll switch it out and plan to by a temperature control system soon. Currently, I have an "under the tank" heater on the side of his tub with a little bit going under for heat and just make sure he gets light during the day so he hasn't had to deal with that light anyway during recovery. This was all recommended by the vet and a substrate of moist paper towels for easy cleaning and changing.

Here is the Repti ramp picture. The water dish is made of the same stuff but really shallow like those tera cotta bowls. I only use the ramp when I'm home all day because I'm afraid he'll tip as soon as I leave but he really seems to like having access to a little bit deeper water on his own. I soak him daily but noticed he often liked hanging out in there for a bit too.

IMG_0736.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've had members come home and find their tortoises drowned in those bowls. I would not use it. I'de return it to the store where you bought it and tell them why. Those bowls should not be sold for tortoises. The shallower one might be okay, but terra cotta saucers are cheaper and offer better traction too.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Household cleaning products are typically brimming with elusive chemicals like phthalates, triclosan, and utoxyethanol.......for a natural disinfectant that works very well - Grab white vinegar, vodka, lavender essential oil/ lemon essential oil, and water, mix well and either use as a rub down or in a spray bottle. Ya could also have a few swigs of the vodka before mixing and make cleaning fun!;):p
(he he he .....no I don't drink but sounds like a good idea:rolleyes:)

Last edited:

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
sorry to hijack a little but has any one tried steam cleaning stuff? it should in theory work to kill any nasties, shouldn't it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sorry to hijack a little but has any one tried steam cleaning stuff? it should in theory work to kill any nasties, shouldn't it?

I don't know the answer, but some encysted flagellates can survive A LOT. They can survive months of direct sunlight and 100+ temps, and they can survive freezing. Don't know if I'd trust steam to do the job, plus if its really that hot it could crack the glass.

AnimalLady

What about some good ol' fashion Vinegar?

I'd be scared to clean anything in any animals home with strong chemicals such as the ones mentioned.

Give it some thought! :)

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I use my steam cleaner:) was about to jump I. And suggest before I seen your post!
They aren't harmful in any way because there are no chemicals and kill a high % of bacteria