how tall should sides be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
We are planning on building a larger enclosure for our sulcata, hopefully to last him until he can live outside. He's about a year old now. We are planning on making it 6 ft 3 in by 3 ft 3 in. The only question I have is how tall should the sides be?

I'm not exactly sure how big he will be when we move him outside but the sides need to last him until he grows out of this enclosure. At the same time we don't want the sides any taller than they HAVE to be.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
whatever height the sides will be dug into the ground + the torts length including legs and arms (reach) + a couple inches for growth, etc

This assumes there is nothing to climb on near the walls. You don't want the tort to be able to reach its arms up the edge or to be able to see out. If you can put an inward-facing edge on the sides it can help escape artist torts (such as a lip at a 90 deg angle to the wall).

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
The tort is only like 3.5 inches long right now..... and I'm hoping this will last him until he can be outside (and I'm not exactly sure how big they have to be when they can stay outside). Right now he has about 2 inches of substrate, will that always be enough? I'm guessing not....

This is getting complicated. :shy: Any sulcata owners out there?

We might use that lip idea.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The substrate depth will depend on if the tort likes to burrow or not. I'm not familiar with Sulcatas so hopefully someone else will come along...I already have given my 2-2.5 inch tort 6 inches of substrate, lol. Russians are burrowers.

From what I've heard, Sulcatas can be quite the diggers so you probably need to bury the walls quite a bit so the tort could not dig out in one day without you noticing..

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Right now the sides of my indoor enclosure are 12", there hides stay in the middle and I usually give about 4-6" of substrate. I don't know where you are located, but mine all go outside each day, and I bring them in at night, but once the night temps get to be a little warmer the bigger 3 ranging 3.5"-6" will be outside 24/7 except when it is cold. Back to the sides they have yet to get out. Even my large russians have yet to get out of the 12" sides. But when considering your table think about winter and what you plan to do then. Also you could make a top that way s/he won't be able to climb out when she gets a little bigger, or the lip idea as previously suggested.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sulcatas are diggers. but if they have a hide they tend not to dig as much. They will go thru the motions, but won't cause the damage if they cant dig down.
As for sides: they need to be taller then your tort is long including stretching. No put anything near the side they can climb on. and figure your substrate adds height.
I'd go at least a foot tall. if you use a sheet of plywood, that gives you a 8x8 square.
depending on outdoor enclosure size. and tyep depends on when it can go out. it needs to be out in real sun now as well. but better protected.
My enclosure is 60x100 and 2 1x10 boards on top of each other with a 2x4 greenboard along the ground. They dont dig,,, yet and have never tried to climb over. But the cruise the edges/perimeter all the time. If they can see over or thru, they will bulldoze to get to the other side.

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
I think I may not have been clear. :p This is an indoor enclosure I am building. I am hoping it lasts until my sulcata is large enough to live outdoors 24/7. My tort does get to go outside, especially on sunny days, but I am asking advice about building a larger indoor enclosure.

Sorry if I confused everyone! :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
ooops! Then you just need it the substrate height + the height of the tort reaching on its hind legs + a few inches at least

Probably 12 inches should do it for ease of finding wood. I have my sides 18 inches which is overkill, but then I don't have to worry about cage furnishings and when he grows more.

M

Maggie Cummings

Laura said:
Sulcatas are diggers. but if they have a hide they tend not to dig as much. They will go thru the motions, but won't cause the damage if they cant dig down.
As for sides: they need to be taller then your tort is long including stretching. No put anything near the side they can climb on. and figure your substrate adds height.
I'd go at least a foot tall. if you use a sheet of plywood, that gives you a 8x8 square.
depending on outdoor enclosure size. and tyep depends on when it can go out. it needs to be out in real sun now as well. but better protected.
My enclosure is 60x100 and 2 1x10 boards on top of each other with a 2x4 greenboard along the ground. They dont dig,,, yet and have never tried to climb over. But the cruise the edges/perimeter all the time. If they can see over or thru, they will bulldoze to get to the other side.

I don't think all Sulcata burrow. Neither Bob nor Tony have tried to dig out. Bob goes into a corner in his sleeping box and digs like crazy trying to make a nice bed for himself. But he has plywood sides and plywood floor so I'm not exactly sure what he's thinking, trying to adjust the wood so it's more comfy? He has tried to escape by climbing out I don't know why or where he thought he was going. So I would make it tall and not worrying about digging...

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Maggie, do you think I should make it taller than 12 inches? Maybe 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.