how to control gnats enclosure

RubyG

5 Year Member
I've got my indoor enclosure set up real nice for my little leopard. Temp is good, humidity is good. But now I have a gnat problem. How do I treat for gnats without hurt my tortoise?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I tried Apple cider vinegar traps and DE, neither worked all that well, but I was able to get rid of the fungus gnats with Rollie pollie pill bugs. They clean up the substrate and also eat larvae.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I tried Apple cider vinegar traps and DE, neither worked all that well, but I was able to get rid of the fungus gnats with Rollie pollie pill bugs. They clean up the substrate and also eat larvae.
Where do u get the pill bugs?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Where do u get the pill bugs?
You can buy them online but when I needed them, i just went outside and collected them since I had an over population of them in my garden.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
You can buy them online but when I needed them, i just went outside and collected theme once I had an over population of them in my garden.
Are they the bugs that turn into balls when you touch them

elainelim

I got gnat sticker from the hardware store. Its just a plain yellow sticky paper. I stapled it to a stick and I planted the stick in the enclosure. The sticky paper is tall enough so that the tortoises can't touch it and low enough to be around where the gnats are flying. Works pretty well. Gets flies and other flying pest too.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Good thing they aren't actually a bug then ay? They are Isopods. :D

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Iv got the sticky thing too, I just hung it high enough so my tort can't reach it, and iv caught a load on it already