How to measure healthy weight of a Hermann's tortoise

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I remember seeing a few comments regarding how to judge healthy weight vs. size of the tortoise, but I'm not able to find them again, so I'm hoping someone who knows can pop in with that information.

I was told that Hermes (male Eastern Hermann's) is about 4 years old but do not know the exact age.

When I got him on April 1 of this year, he weighed 556 grams and was exactly 14 centimeters of shell length (across the bottom). Two months and 4 days later, he weighs 636 grams and measures 14.3 centimeters front to back.

Obviously he is putting on some weight and growing a bit, but I'm curious if that's too much weight gain compared to the size. or if he was underweight before and is just bulking up now, or if he was fine before and is fine now, and both measurements are OK...

zovick

10 Year Member!
I remember seeing a few comments regarding how to judge healthy weight vs. size of the tortoise, but I'm not able to find them again, so I'm hoping someone who knows can pop in with that information.

I was told that Hermes (male Eastern Hermann's) is about 4 years old but do not know the exact age.

When I got him on April 1 of this year, he weighed 556 grams and was exactly 14 centimeters of shell length (across the bottom). Two months and 4 days later, he weighs 636 grams and measures 14.3 centimeters front to back.

Obviously he is putting on some weight and growing a bit, but I'm curious if that's too much weight gain compared to the size. or if he was underweight before and is just bulking up now, or if he was fine before and is fine now, and both measurements are OK...
Both the prior weight and size and the current weight and size seem to be fine. The fact that you are probably feeding it better than the previous owner did would most likely explain the increases in both measurements. I wouldn't worry. It sounds as though the tortoise is doing well in your care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

If you are feeding, hydrating and housing correctly, there is no such thing as too much weight gain. When they are cared for properly, they are supposed to grow. At least until they reach full size.

You are probably thinking of the "Jackson ratio". All of those measurement tools are worthless in my opinion. You want steady growth, good appetite, good hydration, and proper temperatures for any tortoise. The rate of growth really doesn't matter. What matters is good health.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the input. He definitely seems healthy and happy. I just wasn't sure if a14.4% increase in weight with only a 2% increase in size was too much. I guess it's an OK amount, and I'll keep tabs on him to make sure he doesn't eat too much and start to get fat around his legs. :)

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
As long as you’re feeding the right foods, your tortoise can’t really over eat. He should be allowed to eat as much as he wants, as long as it’s a proper diet and he has the proper size of enclosure. I would recommend not weighing him more than once per week unless there’s a big concern. Until you are comfortable, once a week is more than enough. They’re like humans in the way that if you weigh yourself right now, and again in the morning, the number isn’t likely to be the same. Pick a day to do your tortoises weigh in. it’s best to choose a specific time or day or to do the weigh in during a specific part of your tortoises routine, like after his soak for example. This will be a better judge of his progress. I say this as someone who use to obsess over my tortoises weight. You will drive yourself mad if you weigh too often. Once my tortoise hit 500 grams I started weighing every 2 weeks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the input. He definitely seems healthy and happy. I just wasn't sure if a14.4% increase in weight with only a 2% increase in size was too much. I guess it's an OK amount, and I'll keep tabs on him to make sure he doesn't eat too much and start to get fat around his legs. :)
Many times tortoises are very dehydrated. When a new person gets them and does regular soaks, good food, and some humidity, the weight increases rapidly. Its water weight. They also gain a fair amount of weight from all the food taken in piling up in the GI tract. Actual growth takes time. I think that is why you saw a lot of weight gain, but not that much growth.