How to move large sulcata from indoors to outdoors

pokeyncrusher

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I need to be able to move Pokey from inside to outside. I have 1 small step down, front door to porch, then 1 step porch to walk, then large step to walk in yard. He stays out all day, but he ALWAYS wants in at night. Spoiled? So I need some kind of small dolly that is wider or longer I could strap him too? I need an idea how to get him in and out. I can’t break my back anymore. He is about 40lbs. Almost 6 years old.
What is a good, cheap, “shelter “ for sun outside. He refuses his wooden one now.
He is my love. DF336FFD-3069-434E-9B21-FE11C23B4DCE.jpeg l
8EA97221-6F2E-4A34-8CBD-FE5466FBBC1B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I afraid I don’t know what to recommend here I’ve always just carried mine when they need moved. In a few more years he will be so big bringing him in at all will most likely not work. If it was me I would find a way to provide him his own heated house. I’m not sure how to tell you to deal with a large Sulcuta in a cold winter. I can imagine how hard that must be. I’m sure some others that have figured out how to deal with this will chime in soon.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s a real pain, trust me. Our Sully is in the range of 80ish pounds (or so). During Winter, we have an entire area set up in our basement level complete with a “Toms Night Box”. It’s cozy. Warm & Sully comes out daily to bask, roam & eat. It’s now time to raise the monster from the deep lagoon - maybe 15 steps up if i go the short route. What I have done in the past is to use a 2x12 x 12 foot board & get sully to climb up & out. Takes some out smarting a tortoise thinking, but better to use your brain than the back!

Perhaps you could have someone build you a small ramp that starts from ground level up & down. Since it is only one large step, you could encourage Mr Sully up & over & down.

Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It’s a real pain, trust me. Our Sully is in the range of 80ish pounds (or so). During Winter, we have an entire area set up in our basement level complete with a “Toms Night Box”. It’s cozy. Warm & Sully comes out daily to bask, roam & eat. It’s now time to raise the monster from the deep lagoon - maybe 15 steps up if i go the short route. What I have done in the past is to use a 2x12 x 12 foot board & get sully to climb up & out. Takes some out smarting a tortoise thinking, but better to use your brain than the back!

Perhaps you could have someone build you a small ramp that starts from ground level up & down. Since it is only one large step, you could encourage Mr Sully up & over & down.

Good luck!
Bob, my sister's 100+lb sulcata, used to open his gate, climb six ir eight steps onto the porch, then down six or eight steps down off the other side of the porch,then go walking off down the middle of the street checking out the neighborhood.

You can teach your tortoise to follow your wiggling fingers down, then up those steps.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I need to be able to move Pokey from inside to outside. I have 1 small step down, front door to porch, then 1 step porch to walk, then large step to walk in yard. He stays out all day, but he ALWAYS wants in at night. Spoiled? So I need some kind of small dolly that is wider or longer I could strap him too? I need an idea how to get him in and out. I can’t break my back anymore. He is about 40lbs. Almost 6 years old.
What is a good, cheap, “shelter “ for sun outside. He refuses his wooden one now.
He is my love. View attachment 294033 l
View attachment 294034
I have done what you are doing for a few Sulcata...right now I am doing it for Knobby abt 35 lbs...but I have been working on the other side of my shed...making a new pen with a doggie door...Big Sam has the side w/the doggie door now...but believe me...you NEED to make him something he is comfortable sleeping in that's safe and warm...
099.JPG
Big Sam042.JPG

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
He is my love. View attachment 294033 l
View attachment 294034
I found a large dog crate . It splits in half and makes a great outdoor hide. Dexter loves it . Protected and great air circulation.
Crusher probably needs a dog igloo.?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My friend and I coax her sully most anywhere by dangling a head of romaine in front of him. He'll go up stairs, down stairs, up a ramp into a car...the only problem we have is when he stops partway up or down and decides to sleep. That takes lots of pushing and prodding.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My friend and I coax her sully most anywhere by dangling a head of romaine in front of him. He'll go up stairs, down stairs, up a ramp into a car...the only problem we have is when he stops partway up or down and decides to sleep. That takes lots of pushing and prodding.

Yep....like pushing a mule or donkey around.

pokeyncrusher

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Good luck!
raise the monster from the deep lagoon
Lol