How to reduce the level of humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adão

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
Hi all :)

So Im having a problem with the humidity in my enclosure... Its at 70-80% and since I want a Agrionemys horsfieldii it can't be more then 60 %. So, any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is covered,take the lid off. Also, what kind of substrate are you using? Coconut coir holds humidity the best. if you are using that, then try mixing it with plain dirt or cypress mulch.What are you doing to add humidity? Do less of whatever that is. Hope any of the above helps

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
wellington said:
If it is covered,take the lid off. Also, what kind of substrate are you using? Coconut coir holds humidity the best. if you are using that, then try mixing it with plain dirt or cypress mulch.What are you doing to add humidity? Do less of whatever that is. Hope any of the above helps

First of all thanks for sharing... The problem is if I take the top, the temperature will drop too much... The substrate is moss peat. Im not doing anything about the humidity I think is from the place I live...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you remove the top and the heat drops too low, add another heat source like a ceramic heat emitter. Too high if humidity for a tort that is not suppose to have a high humidity can cause RI and shell rot. You can also try adding a heat rope under the substrate if you don't want to do a ceramic meat emitter.

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
wellington said:
If you remove the top and the heat drops too low, add another heat source like a ceramic heat emitter. Too high if humidity for a tort that is not suppose to have a high humidity can cause RI and shell rot. You can also try adding a heat rope under the substrate if you don't want to do a ceramic meat emitter.

What if I put a dehumidifier near the enclosure? Do you think that will work?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Adão said:

I don't think putting one "near" it would work. And I can't imagine suggesting putting one inside the enclosure.

Are you not comfortable with removing the lid and adding an extra heat source?

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
Team Gomberg said:
Adão said:

I don't think putting one "near" it would work. And I can't imagine suggesting putting one inside the enclosure.

Are you not comfortable with removing the lid and adding an extra heat source?

Well I dont mind doing that is just the lid was expensise thats all...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Adão said:

oh, i see where you are coming from.

peat moss holds humidity. could you try using plain dirt instead?

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
Team Gomberg said:
Adão said:

oh, i see where you are coming from.

peat moss holds humidity. could you try using plain dirt instead?

Yes I can do that... Like garden dirt? Doesnt that holds humidity also?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Regular dirt from your yard/garden wont hold humidity as well as peat moss does. Especially as the dirt dries out. You'll want to mist it down occasionally so it has some moisture in it. Dry and dusty is no good either.

Since you want to save your lid, I'd try making the substrate switch first and see how that goes... let us know!

**if you are using dirt from outside, you should be confident that it is pesticide and fertilizer free. you can always choose to by top soil from a garden center if you aren't sure.
I use plain dirt from my yard but I know nothing is used on it.

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
Team Gomberg said:
Regular dirt from your yard/garden wont hold humidity as well as peat moss does. Especially as the dirt dries out. You'll want to mist it down occasionally so it has some moisture in it. Dry and dusty is no good either.

Since you want to save your lid, I'd try making the substrate switch first and see how that goes... let us know!

**if you are using dirt from outside, you should be confident that it is pesticide and fertilizer free. you can always choose to by top soil from a garden center if you aren't sure.

Thanks it was a huge help... :D I'll try to do that ... how about bugs in the dirt is there a problem?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Bugs can be fine, even beneficial. Do a search on "bioactive substrate" and you'll read lots about it.

I personally add pill bugs into my enclosure as a clean up crew.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Garden soil will work fine - or organic (bio) top soil from the garden center, but it must be additive free, no fertilizer.
In the past, I've baked the soil in the oven (in multiple smaller batches) to kill any unwanted critters. Without doing that, some brands of soil have caused a gnat invasion in our house. Pill bugs (Kellerassel in German, no idea what they are in Portuguese!) can be added to the soil.

You could also use coconut coir (coconut fiber, chopped) as substrate. It holds a little moisture, but not as much as the moss you are using.

Good luck!

Adão said:
Team Gomberg said:

Thanks it was a huge help... :D I'll try to do that ... how about bugs in the dirt is there a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.