How to Transport A Tortoise

thegame2388

5 Year Member
I am moving across state lines and will be moving a 35 lbs Sulcata on a lovely 7 hour drive.

What is the best way to do this?

My guess is to get one of those large tubs, scoot the front seat back, and place it in the leg area.

I was even thinking of closing the lid on this tub but I figured he would have trouble breathing. Any tips???

PS - I fully expect him to poo/pee while we're on our way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You got it but I wouldn't put the lid on but cover with a cloth to help keep him settled. Put lots of papers down yo help collect the pee. Also bring poop bags to clean up the poop when he goes or it will really stink and make a mess of him. I would bring some romaine lettuce to feed if it's a really hot ride just to help keep him hydrated half way thru.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Use a tub and put the lid on it while driving. Line the bottom with a towel. Bring several extra towels and a plastic trash bag to put the soiled ones in. I recommend a thermometer on top to monitor temps and be careful the floor heat doesn't warm him up too much. The floors of some cars get really hot on long drives. Soak for an hour the day before and the morning of.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you can fit the tub in the back, that might be safest for you. They don’t like car rides and can cause too many problems for you driving wise.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
You guys are geniuses. Worked like a charm. Slept for the long 6 hour ride with no poop and pee.