ivastortoiseivica

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
image.jpgimage.jpg
Hi! It's my first time writing on this forum. I got a Hermanns tortoise yesterday and didn't even know I was getting it, so I couldn't prepare properly. This is what I managed to do with things I already had in my house. The tortoise isn't that old yet, it's about 7cm long. How could I improve the enclosure? The white thing is a hideout I built. What can I put in there to make it warmer/better? And just overall how could I improve it? I don't have a basking light/heat lamp/ UVA UVB light (I don't even know the difference), but would it be warm enough with the heater on at night, until I'm able to get a lamp? Could you guys also recommend some good lamps and bulbs that are also affordable? And good Hermann food? I basically need to know everything. The dirt I put is coconut dirt I had for planting flowers. She also isn't eating much. She only ate a couple of bites of cucumber today, and I can't get her to drink water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the water dish off the slate and bury it level with the top of substrate
You need to get the proper lights and heat ASAP, before she gets sick and dies. You need a tube florescent for uvb, an incandescent flood or regular bulb for basking, around 65watts and a ceramic heat emitter or two for added day heat and night heat.
You thermometer and get a infrared point and shoot temp gun.
Please read the caresheet for the Mediterranean species.