How to wake them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I live in Alaska and my russian is an indoor tort so she went in hybernatioin around Dec. She did this all by her self I think her internal clock kicked in because she slowed down on eating over a few weeks and then stoped all together, She got less active and put her self to sleep in her "cave" and has only come out once to look around. So my question is should I let her wake up on her own or should I wake her up? And if I should how do I do that? While she has been "sleeping" I have left her light and heat off, no point in having it on while she is not using it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If your tortoise is being kept at active level temperatures, light intensity and duration it did not go into brumation (hibernation). The onset of brumation takes places when temperatures and light intensity and duration begin to decrease. In actuality, it takes place over the course of several months that lead up to actual brumation. Not a matter of a couple of weeks.
Unless the temperatures have decreased well below below 50 degrees and the lights within the enclosure are on less than 10 hours a day or the enclosure is poorly lit, your tortoise is most likely reacting to something else within it's environment. Keep in mind that Russian tortoises are a temperate desert burrowing species. They react to dryness and heat in a similar manner that they react to cold. During hot, dry periods they may spend long periods buried also. It is know as aestivation. Russians in general, because they are a burrowing species, will often spend long periods of time buried. This is may not necessarily be a sign of brumation or aestivation. It is just their nature.
The main reason that your tortoise has not been coming out now is probably because you've turned off the lights and heat. Even though they were on when the tortoise was buried, they are important to your tortoise maintaining it's routine, even when buried.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
OK, that make sense I change her light around that time, It may have been to strong. It was a zoo med 50 w That is when It happened, before that I thought her CHE went out but it was the dome not the light so I still have it. Si today I turned on the CHE and her day light. Should I take her out and put her in a warm bath or just wait untill she come out?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
jeninak907 said:
OK, that make sense I change her light around that time, It may have been to strong. It was a zoo med 50 w That is when It happened, before that I thought her CHE went out but it was the dome not the light so I still have it. Si today I turned on the CHE and her day light. Should I take her out and put her in a warm bath or just wait untill she come out?
What are the temperatures within the enclosure? The basking temperature, overall daytime temperature and night time temperature?
Is there more light than a 50watt basking light. If not, there definitely needs to be.
Light, lots of it, along with very warm daytime temperatures, determine the activity level of Russian tortoises.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
YAY after many warm baths and having her CHE and her UVB day light she has woken up on her own with an appitite and wanting to wander around..She would eat after her baths but then soon go back to sleep. But to day at 7 am she was awake and ready to eat and explore!! My little girl was sure excited!! She loves "her" little "turtle".

Status
Not open for further replies.