Wanting to hibernate my russian.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hello all, it has been quite a while sense I have been on here. To update everybody we moved from Alaska to Myrtle beach SC. My female has been out side sense June of this summer. She loves being in her new outdoor enclosure. The thing I was wondering is can I hibernate her down here? The soil is sandy but not clay like. I currently have pine straw in with her and she buries her self in it. She has not tried to bury her self in the dirt too deep; just a little kind of like getting cozy before she goes to sleep. I planed on letting her hibernate this winter but how cold is to cold? And if she don't bury her self before it gets to cold should i do it for her then put her in? She has currently stopped eating and moving around, it has gotten in to the 70's during the day and 50's-60's at night. She is in good health, very heavy- she was eating 2-3 times a day and very active. I also planed on making her a tortoise house with a CHE or infrared so she don't freeze if I need to. Thanks for all of your help!.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow..big contrast in locations huh :D How long has she been at this new location/outdoor yard vs her indoor Alaska digs? I mean, I would crazy hesitate to let her brumate this year...my gut says to let her acclimate to her new digs just as you would a new tort to a new space...you know what I mean?

I would then do all things to prepare her for a shorter brumation next year and then progress each year there after...

The problem I would have with digging her an outdoor area for brumation is that that SC gets snow right? I would worry that you did not dig deep enough and she freezes or you dig too deep and she suffocates...(I so am not trying to be morbid, promise) I would say to let her ease back into her evolutionary pull and over a couple or few winters she will likely get it all back in line....

Just what I think is all :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow..big contrast in locations huh :D How long has she been at this new location/outdoor yard vs her indoor Alaska digs? I mean, I would crazy hesitate to let her brumate this year...my gut says to let her acclimate to her new digs just as you would a new tort to a new space...you know what I mean?

I would then do all things to prepare her for a shorter brumation next year and then progress each year there after...

The problem I would have with digging her an outdoor area for brumation is that that SC gets snow right? I would worry that you did not dig deep enough and she freezes or you dig too deep and she suffocates...(I so am not trying to be morbid, promise) I would say to let her ease back into her evolutionary pull and over a couple or few winters she will likely get it all back in line....

Just what I think is all :D

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
sorry im no help..but thats a Dr. Abigail Tyler move..Alaska to SC. haha.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Yes it is quite the contrast, thats why I am here and not there. Lol. Down here on the coast they get no snow and if we do it wont last but a few hours. Turtle has been out side sence june of this year. Sence I had first posted this message she has dug herself a burrow. I check on her every day. She seems quite cozy, so I am not going to bother her. Back in Alaksa I had her inside it was way to cold and tons of snow to keep her out side. She burmated this time last year, I had a hard time keeping her awake. Lol. So I am gonna let her stay out side, but keeping a close eye on her. Thanks for the advice! I dont want her to suffocate either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A lot of things can go wrong outside, especially in the rainy south. I much prefer to hibernate my animals indoors in consistent, controlled, correct conditions. Its much easier to monitor and adjust if needed, and I sleep much better at night.