How to whiten tort's skin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adua

5 Year Member
I get used to the elongated tortoise which has white head, big eyes and is more popular in my place. So when Xuong Xuoc the babcocki arrived, his dark color head and tiny eyes were new to me. But I notice that his legs are sandy white, no dark spots, not as "black, dirty" as his head. I have seen many people's leos picture with white and clean looking. Is this just the 'clean' matter? I soak him everyday and use a brush to clean his legs, but I really really want to do it with his head,too, if it helps whitening any parts of his skull.
Somebody please tell me that he is not that black by nature.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Skin color will vary, so you will have light skin and darker skins. I have a light skin and two darker skins so it just depends on the tort itself. Pictures will help show what you are asking about. You can clean them to get dirt off, but there is no way to "lighten" their skin color. You cannot bleach or use chemicals of any type on them AT ALL.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
You could always soak it in bleach.

Just kidding!

A couple of us have noticed that coco coir tends to darken the head a bit. It may depend on the brand. My leopard's head is usually a little darker in the morning because it buries in it to sleep, but as the day goes on it lightens up to the same color as the legs.

Not sure if this could be part of your "problem" or if it just has a naturally darker head.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortus said:
You could always soak it in bleach.

Just kidding!

A couple of us have noticed that coco coir tends to darken the head a bit. It may depend on the brand. My leopard's head is usually a little darker in the morning because it buries in it to sleep, but as the day goes on it lightens up to the same color as the legs.

Not sure if this could be part of your "problem" or if it just has a naturally darker head.

I was thinking spray paint...

KIDDING. Only kidding.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
LOL. Must be sure to add "kidding" since some people would really do this.

Then we'd see a thread called, "I bleached and spray painted my tortoise, and now it won't move. Help!".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a couple of different-looking desert tortoise youngsters...almost thought they might be leucistic they were so light. After I kept them over-winter indoors, on cypress mulch, they darkened up. So your tortoise's discoloration might be from the substrate. You can soak him in warm water, then after about 15 minutes, take a soft brush and clean the head and neck area.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Adua said:
I get used to the elongated tortoise which has white head, big eyes and is more popular in my place. So when Xuong Xuoc the babcocki arrived, his dark color head and tiny eyes were new to me. But I notice that his legs are sandy white, no dark spots, not as "black, dirty" as his head. I have seen many people's leos picture with white and clean looking. Is this just the 'clean' matter? I soak him everyday and use a brush to clean his legs, but I really really want to do it with his head,too, if it helps whitening any parts of his skull.
Somebody please tell me that he is not that black by nature.

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but he could very well be that black by nature. You might have to just find it in your heart to accept your dark tortoise for the beautiful animal that he is...

Status
Not open for further replies.