How, when, and where?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hi y'all I want to get some oputia for my tortoise. ((Soon to be tortoises)) and I am just asking around if I can grow one from a pad. And how? And if I cant. Then where can I get a started plant. I will probably just buy a started plant so what website is best to buy it from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi y'all I want to get some oputia for my tortoise. ((Soon to be tortoises)) and I am just asking around if I can grow one from a pad. And how? And if I cant. Then where can I get a started plant. I will probably just buy a started plant so what website is best to buy it from?
I have a dozen varieties. They can be very climate sensitive. Best to find some growing near you and take some cuttings. That way, you know it will survive your winters. Some of mine are sensitive to freezing.

They are very easy to grow.:
1. Cut a pad off of an existing cactus stand. Leather gloves will do nothing. Those spines have evolved to go right through any kind of hide. Handle the pads with thick over-sized rubber dish washing gloves. This doesn't protect you 100%, but its the best I've found. You will learn this lesson the hard way. Keep fine tipped tweezers and some magnifying lenses handy. You will need them.
2. Let the freshly cut pad sit somewhere outside in shade, but with good air flow for a couple of weeks to let the cut end scar over. These pads will last for months this way, so no rush to get them planted.
3. After a couple of weeks, simply stick the cut end into the ground and leave it alone. Pick the hottest place with the most full sun all day you can find for planting. Put about 1/3 to 1/2 half of the pad in the ground. Best to use soil with good drainage. Don't water it for a month. If it rains, well, it is what it is. After a month, water it once or twice a week in hot weather, and not at all in winter. I like to make a basin at the base of each newly planted pad. After that first month is up, I put the end of a dribbling/dripping hose in the basin and let it run for hours until the basin fills up. Once the basin fills, I move the hose to the next one. Let it dry out fully between waterings. In your rainy humid climate, you probably won't have to worry about watering at all, and you won't need the basin idea. That is more for people in dry climates like mine where we get zero rain from April through December every year.
4. You can also grow them in pots so they can be brought in for winter. Big pots with wheels will help.
5. Plant lots of them. For reasons I can't figure out, some of them take off and grow like a bad weed, and others just sit there and do nothing, or they rot in place. Figure 10% of what you plant will fail. More if you are buying and shipping them in from other places.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I have a dozen varieties. They can be very climate sensitive. Best to find some growing near you and take some cuttings. That way, you know it will survive your winters. Some of mine are sensitive to freezing.

They are very easy to grow.:
1. Cut a pad off of an existing cactus stand. Leather gloves will do nothing. Those spines have evolved to go right through any kind of hide. Handle the pads with thick over-sized rubber dish washing gloves. This doesn't protect you 100%, but its the best I've found. You will learn this lesson the hard way. Keep fine tipped tweezers and some magnifying lenses handy. You will need them.
2. Let the freshly cut pad sit somewhere outside in shade, but with good air flow for a couple of weeks to let the cut end scar over. These pads will last for months this way, so no rush to get them planted.
3. After a couple of weeks, simply stick the cut end into the ground and leave it alone. Pick the hottest place with the most full sun all day you can find for planting. Put about 1/3 to 1/2 half of the pad in the ground. Best to use soil with good drainage. Don't water it for a month. If it rains, well, it is what it is. After a month, water it once or twice a week in hot weather, and not at all in winter. I like to make a basin at the base of each newly planted pad. After that first month is up, I put the end of a dribbling/dripping hose in the basin and let it run for hours until the basin fills up. Once the basin fills, I move the hose to the next one. Let it dry out fully between waterings. In your rainy humid climate, you probably won't have to worry about watering at all, and you won't need the basin idea. That is more for people in dry climates like mine where we get zero rain from April through December every year.
4. You can also grow them in pots so they can be brought in for winter. Big pots with wheels will help.
5. Plant lots of them. For reasons I can't figure out, some of them take off and grow like a bad weed, and others just sit there and do nothing, or they rot in place. Figure 10% of what you plant will fail. More if you are buying and shipping them in from other places.
So I dont think there are any where near me that sells pads so I'll have to order a freshly cut pad. Who or where should i order it from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I dont think there are any where near me that sells pads so I'll have to order a freshly cut pad. Who or where should i order it from?
Don't look for someone selling them near you. Look for some growing near you.

If you have to order, get them from someone as close to you, and with as similar a climate as possible. They grow all over the Atlanta area. I bet those would work. If you buy them from a warm dry climate like mine, or AZ, you might have to do some trial and error to see what can survive your winters, rain, and humidity.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Don't look for someone selling them near you. Look for some growing near you.

If you have to order, get them from someone as close to you, and with as similar a climate as possible. They grow all over the Atlanta area. I bet those would work. If you buy them from a warm dry climate like mine, or AZ, you might have to do some trial and error to see what can survive your winters, rain, and humidity.
What if I do order it from Florida. Then I bring it inside when it is too cold, wet, ect. And if it gets to big then i just trim it down and feed the pads to my tortoises. We have a back patio here that has a door leading inside. So if i have it on wheels I can bring it in and out....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What if I do order it from Florida. Then I bring it inside when it is too cold, wet, ect. And if it gets to big then i just trim it down and feed the pads to my tortoises. We have a back patio here that has a door leading inside. So if i have it on wheels I can bring it in and out....
That could work. You'll figure it out as you go.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I‘ll bet if you take some time & start looking you will see people growing them in their gardens near you OR you might see pads for sale at any International Market (Mexican) or your local garden center has some. Craigs List & Etsy have them too. There are all types of opuntia cactus growing about. We routinely buy large pads from our local market right up the road - roughly $1.00 per pound. So weekly or so we pick up about 5 large pads for our Sully. I also planted a few of these (now growing) & also have two large pots growing from pads via Florida. They are in large pots all year long - outside in Summer but brought inside when cold temps hit.