How would I insulate this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cecilia, Kentucky
I now have our 4 sulcatas outside and with winter coming I wanted to make
them an insulated house at first I was thinking a dog house but then I remembered I have a plastic deck box. They are 4 1/2 inches now.
Looking for an easy way to insulate it. Any Ideas welcomed, fyi my husband will most likely be doing the work unless it's super easy lol
Here are some stock photos because it's buried in my closet.
The dimensions are 41" W x 21" D x 22" H

15qpxg1.jpg

2v2fldx.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old are your babies. They may be too young yet to house outside. If they are old and large enough to be outside during winter, that box won't be big enough for all four.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have seen it done before with foam insulation. I've never used the stuff before myself but it comes in a can which you can spray directly into the air pockets in the walls of the box. You can cut a door and put plastic flaps over it to allow your torts to go in and out during the day. You should go ahead and be thinking about something bigger for the future because while this may work for now your sulcatas will get BIG fast and you will need something bigger and stronger to house them such ad a shed.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am also looking into a rubbermaid shed with sliding top and two doors. They are double-walled and thought spray foam would be a good choice. However, someone tried to use spray foam and said it gets very expensive to use that. I also have a thread asking for help but so far I am not getting much advice 8=(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
For now, you could line the inside of the sides with Reflectix insulation. It comes in rolls at home supply stores. You can use Gorilla duct tape, or screw it on.
There is a thread where someone insulated their deck box with rigid foam insulation, then Reflectix. This looked great, but seemed time consuming, as you have to cut out each piece to fit.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-A-new-idea-for-an-outside-hide#axzz26e8g3Fge

I set mine on top of 2 inch rigid insulation and used reflextix on the sides, then 1.5" rigid foam on the ceiling. You can drill holes and squirt in spray foam insulation, but you can't be sure it reaches everywhere, and it is pricy for a larger structure.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
Thank you for the replies. The torts are a year old now, is that too young to be outside year round? Last year we didn't even have a winter it was low 50's at night and 70-80 degrees in the day.
I will let my husband look through that thread to see if he wants to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.