Howdy from hell!

CircleStarRanch

Location (City and/or State)
Tonopah, AZ
My wife and I (looks around for her) are new to the forum and the world of tortoises. We live about 50 miles west of Phoenix. We are going to be building the tortoise enclosure and burrow this week in anticipation of bringing him home in a couple of weeks. We are adopting a Sonoran desert tortoise from AZ game and fish. They end up with far too many tortoises and need to get them re-homed before they begin hibernating in mid to late September. So I'm sure either she or I will have a lot of questions. Once he hibernates we won't see him until about April so we have time to get smarter on stuff!

-Dutch

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Be sure to ask the place you are adopting from if the tortoise you are getting is healthy enough to brumate. We usually don't recommend it until you have owned the tortoise for a year so you know enough about it to know it's healthy enough to make it through. Don't forget to share pics

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I'm glad you are preparing before he comes home! How big are you making the enclosure?
One thing I would like to say is that many people suggest not hibernating a tortoise for the first year, and strongly recommend not hibernating at all if sick or injured or underweight until the tort is back to 100%. So I don't know if hibernating him this winter would be a swell idea. But if he's 100% healthy, I think it would be your choice.
If overwintering him, an indoor enclosure will be needed. Or if he gets sick or injured an indoor hospital tank will be needed.

CircleStarRanch

Tonopah, AZ
We provide him the burrow, I guess he uses it to hibernate if he is planning to! His enclosure is outdoors and is 12' x 30' the burrow will be partially under a tree in the center of that. If he opts to stay awake we will have to feed him until the plantings take hold.

-Dutch

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your tortoise, depending on age, Will hibernate just fine, You have the right idea, provide good food and let the tortoise decide when to go to sleep and when to wake up. Two things to be sure of, is the burrow deep enough to keep him cold when those 80 degree winter days happen. And make shure he is hydrated before he turns in for the winter. When you notice he is not eating any more as the nights cool down give him extra soaks till he quits comeing out.

Keith D.

Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO Dutch. I am a DT junkie lo I love these little guys. The choice to brumate is def up to you, personally I don't do it the first year especially if there young. I would def make sure AZ game and fish gives you a clean bill of health for your DT, you will probably have to request it done cause i dontvremember offhand if they do vet checks or not. But anyway good luck with your DT if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Oh and your enclosure size is great, I use 18'x20' enclosures.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m0177.gif
and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Dutch, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Personally, I would not hibernate him if there is any risk of him being underweight, sick or too stressed, as i would worry he would not wake up in the spring, even if his instincts tell him to brumate. It would be good to overwinter him so you can all get to know each other, anyway.

CircleStarRanch

Tonopah, AZ
The weather took a "turn for the worse" and the temps are back up above 110 today. My burrow-building came to a standstill at 2/3 complete but I just can't work in that heat. Maybe I can get it done early tomorrow after feeding and milking. We will be enclosing the enclosure (Dept of Redundancy Department?) Saturday morning early as it will take two of us. Then we can get it all finished up and photos taken for the Adoption Application - and maybe one or two to be posted in the forum ;)

-Dutch

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The weather took a "turn for the worse" and the temps are back up above 110 today. My burrow-building came to a standstill at 2/3 complete but I just can't work in that heat. Maybe I can get it done early tomorrow after feeding and milking. We will be enclosing the enclosure (Dept of Redundancy Department?) Saturday morning early as it will take two of us. Then we can get it all finished up and photos taken for the Adoption Application - and maybe one or two to be posted in the forum ;)

-Dutch
Yes, please.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* Sounds like you have major works in progress. :)