Howdy Y'all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

texscowgirl

5 Year Member
Howdy! I am new to the site and am so happy to have some help with my tortoises. We have 2 African Spur-Thighs. Mikey (Michael Angelo) who is 5 years old and a newly aquired rescue that we named Donnetello. Donnie (or Donna) is 2 yrs old and has lived its entire life in a tank where it was untouched and stunted. It is small for the age. I am trying to find out how to get them to co-habitate together. Mikey acts like he wants to hurt the little one, so we keep them seperate.
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. I am just looking for any advise I can get. :tort:[/size][/font]

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome! Sulcata males can be aggressive, so they may never be able to co-habitate, but the best way to get them used to each other would be in a large outdoor enclosure with a lot of visual barriers and plenty of places to hide, at least this way she can get away from him if she wants. Then just make sure to keep an eye on them.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Texascowgirl, welcome to the forum, unfortunately Mikey may not want another tort in his space. You may want to try keeping there enclosure separate but close so that they know each other or there and just slowly introduce them. Bigger Sulcata can be bullies to smaller one's, so you may end up always keeping them separate.

Do you have photos you can show?...

texscowgirl

5 Year Member
Thank you so much. We are already keeping them in outdoor enclosures. They are seperated but can clearly see each other. She has plenty of hiding places so she feels safe. I was afraid that Mikey would not accept another tortoise because he was also a rescue and found safety with us and had the yard to himself for 4 years.[/size][/font]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I answered your other thread first, but hello and welcome here too.

Here's a care sheet that I made for little one. Your 5 year old is past this stage, but these things might help with you little one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1KGQGoBi2

We'd love to see pics of both of them and their enclosures. We can often see things in pics that wouldn't otherwise be noticed. I use http://tinypic.com/ to post pics. Its really easy. You don't need an account or anything. Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi texscowgirl:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

texscowgirl

5 Year Member
Oh I am so sorry! My name is Lisha and I live in Arizona. :tort:[/size][/font]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lisha that is a pretty name. Welcome to the site! Others have already made comments about your sulcata, so I think I will instead ask about the dogs. What kind are they and what sort of service dog?

texscowgirl

5 Year Member
Hello! my dogs are: Zeus, 15yrs, is a mini pin/manchester terrier mix. Peaches, 9 yrs, is a Japanese Chin, and Shakey, 5 yrs, is a Chihuahua. Calvin is 7 years old and he is my Medical Assist Service Dog. He was a pound puppy. He is half Golden Retriever and half Collie. He is VERY smart. He helps me in many ways, but mostly he walks with me because I fall due to breaking my spine. He can feel me start to fall before anyone can see it and he braces his self under me to keep me from hitting the ground. Thank you for asking about them!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow I have not heard of a dog doing that. I know they have many different service jobs though. It amazes me what they can teach a dog to do. And welcome I would like to see pix of all your pets:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome Lisha! As for co-habitating...sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't! Sorry to be so vague, but that's how it is with sulcatas (especially). You can't force the issue...the larger one could really damage the little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.