Humid hide box question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Is it ok to use a plastic container from the grocery ( the ones that veggies come in such as spring mix, strawberries, etc) as a humid hide box? I cut out an opening big enough for my yearling greek to go thru.its pretty easy to cut using scissors. I put in some top soil and moisten it. Has anybody used that type of material for a hide box?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Better to use something opaque, but the one you have is better than nothing. Does he use it?

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I can't say as to whether this would work or not, if it has holes in it like strawberry containers it might not hold in humidity too well, but again I'm not completely sure. I actually made a new enclosure last weekend, and a new humid hide. I was shopping at walmart, and i saw these plastic plant pots, you can get a variety of color, but it was like 97 cents, and its a durable kind of plastic, not one that would melt under the heat lamp, i turned it on its side and covered half the entrance with foil, ( partly because it reflects some of the light to the other side of the enclosure, and partly to hold in humidity and heat) So far it is working well and its the first time my leopard hatchling started using his humid hide. I would wait for more opinions on the plastic container idea :) good luck!

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Yes, he uses it. I cover it up with top soil on the sides and back so he can't see out when he's inside. I also put some grass clippings in there. He has a bit of pyramiding already but that's how I got him (about 2 weeks ago). I'm just wondering if a different type of material would hold humidity better. I'm thinking of placing some plastic on top of half of the enclosure to keep at least one part more humid.
I've also been misting him and the enclosure numerous times a day and soak him. Hopefully he'll progress better from here on out.
The container I'm using doesn't have numerous holes like the ones for keeping strawberries. Sorry for the misinformation in the op.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I currently am using similar containers for hides. One is a plastic tub we bought lettuce in and another it a bowl from a restaurant's togo. I cut out an entrance and covered the sides and top so my tort can walk on top. Covering the whole will eliminate any need for a certain color or being opaque. I can't see anything holding in moisture better than plastic.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using TortForum mobile app

1369967836530.jpg
A pic of the salad container
1369967958973.jpg
A pic of the bowl hide(right) and the water dish on left(another togo container)
Sent from my LG-VM696 using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I use a plastic shoebox for hatchlings and yearlings. I cut the hole and leave the lid on the top. I like to be able to open it and check on them without having to remove the box entirely. I keep it warm and the substrate deep in there. Mine love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.