Humid hide mold

jnirvello

Location (City and/or State)
fort myers, florida
I have a humid hide that I spray daily and today I went to resoak the moss and I noticed mold (or what I think is mold) is there an alternative?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have a humid hide that I spray daily and today I went to resoak the moss and I noticed mold (or what I think is mold) is there an alternative?
I removed all the dried moss from my enclosure after hearing that they may try to eat it and that there are a few reports of torts becoming impacted from it.
I have not found a really good alternative yet but some people glue a sponge to the roof of the hides.. they never stayed for me.
If you want to continue using it you might try removing it and rinsing the moss with hot water every couple of days..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't use anything inside the humid hide. I just dampen the substrate under it.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
I am working on making him an enclosure where I can do that but for now I have the sphagnum moss inside a plastic shoe box and he loves it, he’s in it everyday. I had one before but I changed the moss obviously and there wasn’t ‘mold’ in that one... I’m just curious if that’s okay before I noticed it

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
I removed all the dried moss from my enclosure after hearing that they may try to eat it and that there are a few reports of torts becoming impacted from it.
I have not found a really good alternative yet but some people glue a sponge to the roof of the hides.. they never stayed for me.
If you want to continue using it you might try removing it and rinsing the moss with hot water every couple of days..

My tort isn’t interested in it but he loves to lay in it. I heard the sponges cause mold too so I figured natural moss would be good but I guess mold grows where ever it wants!!!