Humid hide temp struggles

mcory

I am having a hard time getting the temp in the humid hide spot above 70:/ luckily she is not using it since its too cold ! Should I get a heating mat to put under the substrate ? Any suggestions would be awesome! ImageUploadedByTortForum1389548908.496349.jpg Penelope says thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you doing now for temps and have you tried hanging a CHE over the hide? Post a pic so we can see what we are working with to give suggestions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I built my tort table for SA leopard hatchlings, I put one of these down at one end, on the bare floor:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-...pagating-Seedling-Heat-Mat-VSEEDMAT/202985174

Then I added about 3" of substrate. This is the spot where I put my hiding place, which consists of a bunch of moist sphagnum moss covered by a cut-in-half-lengthwise piece of about 10" PVC pipe.

I have a new baby from Ben Awes in there now, and whenever I go to look for him, he's dug down in a corner inside the pipe, and right on the seedling mat. Nice and warm, and moist.

The writing on the package it came in says it never gets above 80F degrees

Here's what it looks like from the outside:

01-12-14a_zpsc5e4e067.jpg

And lifting up the PVC, VOILA!

01-12-14b_zps039beac4.jpg

She's usually nestled down under the moss, but maybe she's on her way out this a.m.

mcory

I put an additional red heat light over the hide and it has gone up too 75• now so maybe more patience on my side:) here's what the hide side looks like...

Oops forgot the pictures :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1389551382.872270.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389551412.185845.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389551434.637702.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mcory

Well 75 seems to be the hottest it will get:/ guess I will look into buying one of those heat pads.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Can he fit in that hide? It looks to small to me.
What if you try a different hide? I've used large tupperware and dish washing tubs turned upside down with a hole cut out for the door as hides. They work well. They may hold heat inside the hide better than that half log.
Just a suggestion.

I also like what Yvonne does with the pipe, moss and heat pad.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
It might be the log is too thick to let the heat pass thru it? Maybe you need a higher watt heat source on a thermostat. How many watts is your che?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What are you currently using as a heat source? I use a CHE of 150 watts on a thermostat to maintain my temps in the humid hide and enclosure at night.

Cowboy Ken

6 Sulcatas
11 Russians
3 Pancakes
1 Uro
7 Cats Still
1 Syko Dog
1 Wonderful Wife
A Huge Pile of Fish

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
For regulating the temp in my hides I use the zoo med heat mats applied to the smooth side of a ceramic tile.. I place the tile rough side up. Then place coconut coir and hide on top of the tile. I use a lamp dimmer switch to regulate and decrease or increase the output to a constant temp instead of a thermostat. The ceramic holds a nice warm temp at about 83 degrees... I spritz water inside the hide daily.

Heat mat
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCL4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Dimmer switch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYEF6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

mcory

Thanks for the responses. I have sense changed her enclosure and the hide is much improved. I am using a old plastic plant container which she seems to love. There was a crack in the container so I got a sponge and ran a cotton sock thru the sponge on one end and placed the other end in a glass full of water! An old wicking gardening trick that is working great! and of coarse I moisten everything everyday as part of our morning ritual!