[split] new with a question

TheStephmass

[split] Humid hide temp struggles

When I got my Leopard tortoise Lennie the guy at the pet store mentioned nothing about humidity. I bought a tortoise table that has an open top and one hide. I've also got a heat lamp and a heat mat I use in the hide now it's winter. I have no idea how I'm going to up the humidity. Sorry to gate crash your question but I have no idea how to post my own. His diet also consists mainly of greens. I've googled it and they say greens are good. I'm completely stumped. Have I been given some really bad information? Is my tortoise at risk? ImageUploadedByTortForum1389619433.265433.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1389619409.624166.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1389619409.624166.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:

TheStephmass

When I got my Leopard tortoise Lennie the guy at the pet store mentioned nothing humidity. I bought a tortoise table that has an open top and one hide. I've also got a heat lamp and a heat mat I use in the hide now it's winter. I have no idea how I'm going to up the humidity. Sorry to gate crash your question but I have no idea how to post my own. His diet also consists mainly of greens. I've googled it and they say greens are good. I'm completely stumped. Have I been given some really bad information? Is my tortoise at risk? ImageUploadedByTortForum1389651363.536802.jpg

mcory

Humid hide temp struggles

Well you want to cover the top so it holds in humidity , which helps the torts grow smooth. Check out the enclosure section on here for loads of help! Do lots of reading on here and you will learn a lot about proper care:)

I was thinking it might have gotta too small:) i was thinking of cutting a five gallon bucket in half and trying that. I work at a restaurant so we have a bunch of buckets I try to recycle!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is Lennie a baby? Then yes, but the risk you're taking isn't really a risk with his health, its a risk in raising a 'lumpy' baby. A humid environment helps the shell to grow smoothly.

For a baby, your habitat is ok, but as it grows, that's way too small. Figure out how to hang the lights so you don't have to clamp them on the side, then cover the whole thing with foil to keep the cool air out and the moist, warm air in. Pour some water over the substrate to keep it moist.

To start your own thread, first click on "forums" at the top, right. Then scroll down to find the subject you want your thread to be in...let's choose "introduction." Click on that. When it comes up, click on "new topic" on the top right of the screen. The next screen that comes up is yours.

Good luck!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
An easy solution right now is to go pick up some clear plastic sheets at a hardware store so you can lay them across the top to help hold humidity. You don't have to cover the entire enclosure, and covering it will help retain heat also. Make sure you get a humidity gauge of some sort to monitor the range - shoot for 70-80 percent, but higher is okay too. A cover and keeping the substrate moist will work fine.

TheStephmass

Okay fab, thanks so much! Is the diet okay? This is Lennie :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1389708509.787317.jpg