Humidity advice plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogart20

5 Year Member
So I've got a 3-4 month old Indian star (ziggy).
So everyday except cold days I take ziggy outside (his whole enclosure) and his humidity during the day is 30- 50%
But when I bring him inside for the night, the humidity rises to 70-80 %.
Is it going to be a problem that my house holds quite a high humidity?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

I don't keep stars, but your question is more temp related than anything else. Humid and cool=respiratory infection. Humid and warm, should be fine.

Hopefully someone with star experience will chime in.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Tom said:
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

I don't keep stars, but your question is more temp related than anything else. Humid and cool=respiratory infection. Humid and warm, should be fine.

Hopefully someone with star experience will chime in.

Air humidity is just fine. I and guessing you are working with either Indians/Sri lankans?? If so, the more important thing is that they are NOT sitting in a wet substrate from when heat lights go off and temps begin to fall at night. I keep my entire room any where from 60% to 80% Humid. I am working with Burmese Stars but I did the same back in the day when I was breeding Both Indians and Sri lankans. I would also spray the entire encloser every day around noon so that the substrate would be dry by the time the lights went out and temps began to fall. So Remember, Wet substrate @ Night NO GOOD> Dry Substarate at night with Humid air just fine. This has worked for me for MANY MANY years.

bogart20

5 Year Member
Basking spot is 95 warm is around 90 and the cool side tests between 75 and 78
I don't even most in there and the substrate is dry just where I live is a high humidity and my house traps it I guess lol
And at night I keep it around 80- 85
Yea it's an Indian star not Sri Lanka.
But yes it's dry substrate and I'd say pretty warm. I keep ambient temp in my house around 75 as well so it'll stay atleast pretty warm incase the days his light goes out for a while

Thanx for the advice. So during the day it's its ok to spray? Cause when I don't take him outside (cold day) his humidity stays 70. It's only when I take it outside it falls to 30-50

And that's only because my porch is like a box and gets really hot, so it's got a lower humidity I'm guessing that's the reason cause its completly surly des by walls and they're tall in direct sun it gets 115-130. I never put his enclosure in direct sun, I always keep him where it gets 95- 99 on his basking/ warm side and 80 on cool, and 75 in the burrow in case he needs to really cool down

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
bogart20 said:
I don't even most in there and the substrate is dry just where I live is a high humidity and my house traps it I guess lol
But yes it's dry substrate and I'd say pretty warm. I keep ambient temp in my house around 75 as well so it'll stay atleast pretty warm incase the days his light goes out for a while

Thanx for the advice. So during the day it's its ok to spray? Cause when I don't take him outside (cold day) his humidity stays 70. It's only when I take it outside it falls to 30-50

Its totally fine to spray. I always wait for about two to three hrs after the heat lights come on so they have a chance to warm up. Use a fine mist and not to cold better a little warmer. I just have my spray bottle in the room and it heats up as the room warms up.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
bogart20 said:

And that's only because my porch is like a box and gets really hot, so it's got a lower humidity I'm guessing that's the reason cause its completly surly des by walls and they're tall in direct sun it gets 115-130. I never put his enclosure in direct sun, I always keep him where it gets 95- 99 on his basking/ warm side and 80 on cool, and 75 in the burrow in case he needs to really cool down

It sounds like your temperatures are spot on. the 75 degrees is the lowest I would go with that amount of humidity, but if your tortoise is eating and growing, then it doesn't sound like you need to change anything.

Do you provide a water dish for your tortoise, or do you soak him?

I don't think there's any need to spray in your enclosure as long as your tortoise is kept hydrated, but it's not going to hurt anything either unless it drops the temperatures too much.

bogart20

5 Year Member
Well he doesn't eat like my last tort. But he is eating. Is it pretty normal for babies to ignore grass???
He was getting fed spring mix frm the breeder, but wasn't sure if that should be all I feed this little guys
I chop up spring mix in his grass, buts all so finely chopped, can't tell witch is witch so he kinda ignores it... Except the carrot pieces. He tears it apart trying to find carrots lol

I do provide a water dish and disk him almost everyday

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Frankly, do not need to worry too much of humidity。make sure to soak ur tort, then u will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.