Humidity and CDTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I'm new to tort parentage, and I read a lot of references to humidity levels on the forum. This hot, dry weather we're having here in LA this week has got me wondering -- how does humidity factor in for desert torts? My two juvenile CDTs live outside, get 2-3 weekly soaks and get their hide spritzed when it's 85+ out. Is there anything else I should be doing? Because they're desert dwellers, I assumed my arid SoCal climate would be ideal without much modification, but I continue to be surprised at what I learn here. Also, regarding the soaks, for those of you whose torts live outside, what time of day do you do them? Evening after work is most convenient for me, but I worry about Gomez and Morticia going to sleep in their burrow without being fully dry, which is exactly what they seem to want to do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your routine sounds great. Yes, they are desert dwellers, but they live underground where its damp and much cooler than above ground. Most people envision how they would feel walking around exposed out in the hot desert sun. Instead envision how you would feel in a deep underground bunker.

During hot dry weather, its fine if they retire to their burrows with a wet shell in the evenings. This will actually help young ones grow smoother. I wouldn't do this during cooler weather though. Mid day soaks are best during cooler weather.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of hide do they have? Above ground box type? Below ground natural dug burrow? Combination of both?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good....if you have at least 8 inches of dirt packed around the enclosure then your hide will be able to regulate a bit of a constant temp and will allow some humidity to develop ---:D

Status
Not open for further replies.