Humidity gauge

lexrex7

What's a good humidity gauge that people use? I have zoomed one it wasn't super pricey but I want to keep up with the accuracy. It's getting colder now and I'm trying to maintain heat in my sulcata' tank. I have foil at the top but the Temps just aren't as high as they used to be since it's getting cold. The humidity gauge has dropped down to 50% but the substrate is still moist. How can I count on accuracy if it's 50% but I see that the substrate has moisture

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you in the U.S.?
Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart all have in the garden department pretty much the same digital thermometer and humidity gauge. It's battery operated and pretty reliable and accurate and it's only about $10.
Get one and throw your old meter away. Especially if you have one of those stick on dial gauges. (They're garbage)

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
I have 2 inexpensive Acurite gauges( on Amazon) and put in the same location in enclosure, they're close but still don't read the same .HMMM??? I finally thought I'd splurge and satisfy my driving curiosity and got a $65 professional weather/house gauge (temp/humidity) The weather gauge is really off the numbers. Sending back I'll stick with the acurite gauge I believe these read the closest to the real temp/humid.With cold weather .I also keep a small oil heater ,from Menards,in the room to help with keeping the room warm. Someone in one of the forum mentioned if room is below 75 degrees its hard to manage temp/humid and I have found this to be true. I only heat my house to 62 degrees so this makes the tortoise room very toasty and where I find all my cats soaking it up Good Luck

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
One of the things I have noticed is that when the temperature outside the tortoise enclosure gets colder the heat source inside the enclosure stays on longer, or should, to keep the ambient temp where it is supposed to be. Whether the heat source is an incandescent bulb, a ceramic heat emitter, or, as in my case, an oil-filled radiator, it dries the air and the relative humidity falls.

Having a hygrometer that you can trust is important. There are a few simple methods to calibrate a hygrometer. Mine is digital and can't be adjusted, but at least I can know how far off it is. Here is a link: http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

Most of the time when the humidity is lower than desired it is due to warm, moist air leaking out of the enclosure. Even the smallest of leaks can make a 10-15% difference in the humidity level.

I have a remote sensor for temp and humidity in my sulcata's night box. The display station is inside my house, sitting on my desk. When I see the humidity drop about 10% I know that he is sticking his head through the vinyl flaps. When he moves his whole body into the doorway the humidity drops a bunch.
2016-12-14 08.09.10.jpg