Humidity in Enclosures

awioa

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
When you build a wooden enclosure, are you putting anything on the wood to protect it from the humidity? or would it be toxic for the turtles?

CarneAsada

Midwest
When you build a wooden enclosure, are you putting anything on the wood to protect it from the humidity? or would it be toxic for the turtles?

just bought something for that (in the post below)!IMG_3649.jpg

You’ll also need the fabric that goes over the seams and I caulked as well to make sure I wouldn’t have any leakage.

I will also likely put some sort of layer down before the substrate.

daniellenc

Maryland
Don’t forget the sides and back....the wood will rot. No clue if that stuff is safe but if you do a search on here there are plenty of sealers that are deemed safe and prevent mold.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think a popular one is some kind of kennel sealant that is 100% safe to animals.I’ve not used it personally but I’ve heard it mentioned on here quite a bit. Hopefully someone will chip in with the name of it.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I think a popular one is some kind of kennel sealant that is 100% safe to animals.I’ve not used it personally but I’ve heard it mentioned on here quite a bit. Hopefully someone will chip in with the name of it.
I used Kennel Seal on my new enclosure:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kennel-Seal-by-Agra-Life-Sealant-for-Wood-Concrete-Metal/472848303?

Too soon to tell you it will hold up but I'm happy with the coating it made over the wood. I used 3 coats in most places.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC