Impregnating wood for tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

nupek

5 Year Member
Hi!
It is time to build a bigger and more durable indoor enclosure for my leopard tortoise. I got stuck on choosing a way to impregnate wood to protect it from humidity and make it easier to clean but also keep the enclosure safe for tortoise. Does anyone have any products to recommend? Thank you in advance.
Cheers
nupek.

nupek

5 Year Member
Len said:
Have you decided on what type of wood you are going to use?

I was thinking about pine. Will it be harmful for tortoise after impregnating?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
No idea if Thompson Water Seal is tortoise-safe (hopefully someone here knows, one way or the other), but it's an excellent wood protector.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use it inside the tortoise's house, but it would be fine outdoors. It carries fumes for quite a while after applying it, so inside the tortoise's house is not a good idea.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Boiled Linseed Oil, you can use it by itself or mix it with an oil based paint to penetrate deeply into the wood. It does dry, and is as far as I know is safe, some people use it in their foods.I use it on my outside furniture and other things that are left outside all year, It may turn the wood dark after time.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You might look into Kennel Seal. Marcy4hope used it on her indoor enclosure. I plan to use it inside my outdoor tort house. It is supposed to be pet safe.

nupek

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot! I don't think I will find Kennel Seal in Sweden, but boiled linseed oil is popular (since it is supposed to be environmentally friendly). I assume it is ok to use for both external and internal walls of the indoor enclosure?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I used a water based, waterproofing stain. The odor was gone in 24-48 hours.
The brand was Behr waterproofing sealer (US). Perhaps you can search for something similar.
Or the boiled linseed oil will be OK inside or outside your indoor enclosure, again, let it air out completely before you line it and add substrate.

I lined mine with Pond liner folded up the sides. Even a Russian can't dig through that.

Pine is fine for a tortoise table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use plain untreated plywood. I have some 4x8' enclosures that have been housing various humidity loving species since the early 90s. For my outdoor night boxes, I prime and paint the outsides but leave the insides untreated. Works very well for me here in So Cal.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
I highly suggest Cabot Exterior Stain. I've used it on an all wood gazebo that gets moved around alot and a large smoker. 2 years later, they're still as bright as new and barely any wear. Many color options and oderless once cured. You can also try a marine grade or UVB protective polyurethane.

argus333

5 Year Member
i use melamine its water proof and really easy to clean. no fumes to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.