Humidity is a little low (ideas)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I've got Abrams in the Zoo Med house, I have the top sealed with a clear plastic and I'm getting around 70% humidity. I've read that 80% is ideal, does anyone have suggestions of a few other things I can do? I have a 100 watt heat light and the UVB 10.0 reptisun

Attachments

• abrams enclosure.JPG
    abrams enclosure.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 46

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First thing I would do is ditch the coil bulb before it burns his eyes.

Next I'd start planning a bigger and better enclosure. No fans of the ZooMed house here on this forum...

How are you measuring your humidity and where? Those stick on round dial gauges are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. You can get a digital thermometer and hygrometer from Lowes for about $20 with a wireless remote probe that can be moved around the enclosure to check temp and humidity at tortoise level.

What species and size tortoise are we talking about here?

Delilah1623

I took a fish tank filter bag and put a small glass bowl in the bottom so it doesn't drip. Filled the rest with sphagnum moss and spray that down twice a day.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
A very small Sulcata, What bulb would you suggest? I will go to lowes today and pick up the thermometer and Hygrometer.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have a very big outdoor enclosure for my 3-Toed and Ornates and when Abrams gets big enough he will have plenty of land to roam, I have over 100 acres to built him a spot. This is only a temp house for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A very small Sulcata, What bulb would you suggest? I will go to lowes today and pick up the thermometer and Hygrometer.

Where are you? If your tortoise can get real sunshine year round, you won't need indoor UV. If you have frozen winters, you will need some UV. A mercury vapor bulb might be too hot for your set up, so I'd go with a long 10.0 bulb in a reflector hood over your enclosure, in addition to the heat lamp you already have.

Read the link that rus/sul/tort posted above plus these two:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm in Oklahoma so yes we have frozen winters. Thanks! So I should ditch the reptisun 10.0 UV bulb I have and get a another 10.0 in a reflector hood and then get a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb for my heat?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Maybe it would be best if someone could post me a picture of the 2 bulbs they suggest. I've had my box turtles for over 5 years and with no issues but I want to make everything right for my Sulcata. Thanks for all the help, you guys are great!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
072397005227lg.jpg
Is this ok for the digital thermometer and hygrometer. Now if someone could post pics of the UV light and Heat light I should be using. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm in Oklahoma so yes we have frozen winters. Thanks! So I should ditch the reptisun 10.0 UV bulb I have and get a another 10.0 in a reflector hood and then get a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb for my heat?

Yes. The coil type cfl bulbs have been known to sometimes damage their eyes. The long tube types don't.

Thank you Delilah for the assist!

I like to buy my bulbs from this guy:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
thanks for all the help! Should I stick with my 100 watt for heating or switch to the 65 watt incandescent flood bulb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks for all the help! Should I stick with my 100 watt for heating or switch to the 65 watt incandescent flood bulb?

Only your thermometer can answer that question. Everyone's enclosures are a little different. If the 65 gets it done, then I prefer lower wattage bulbs. If your 100 is currently doing the job, no reason to switch.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks for all the help. I found these little jewels at work and now they there headed to the house.

Attachments

• temps.JPG
    temps.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 23

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks for all the help and advice! I have humidity between 80-83, with basking around 98. my other temps range 75 and up. I changed out the UV light and I'm very please with my set up. Now its time to start designing my outdoor enclosure.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Moved in! Abrams seems happy with the new place, Moves around a lot more now with the better temps and humidity. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 34
  • soak.JPG
    soak.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 36