humidity issues still

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
i bought the plexiglass and it still doesnt seem to be working. i do spray and water the terrarium but it just doesnt seem to hold for very long. so now i am looking into buying a humidifier, are there any you suggest?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Sorry, I'm behind on your history. Could you post a pic of your enclosure? What country/state are you in/from (just wondering about local climatic factors)? Do you use A/C?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i live in New York, and my parents have a/c but thats only in their bedroom. her heat is always where it needs to be its just the humidity i am having such an issue with..

i want to expand on this enclosure but this is where she is now, i am going to buy more plants here hopefully soon, but she keeps trampling them, so i am having a hard time keeping them alive..
new encl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What is that substrate? That may be part of the issue.

You are not really covering up very much of the habitat, and there is not much there to keep it close. Try...
- A humid hide or two
- Covering more of the habitat- probably in a big L shape
- Getting your more plants
- Not worrying about it so much. Red-foots need to be well HYDRATED, but do not really need a lot of HUMIDITY- although humidity helps with hydration. Moist food, available and used water, etc. are also important.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I haven't read your other threads so I'm not quite up to speed. You have a redfoot right? They require a lot of humidity. It's going to be tough to get an acceptable humidity level on a wooden tort table. I would recommend fully covered the enclosure, probably with a piece of plywood. I use just a plastic tub with a piece of plywood on top. I have light fixtures on the inside of the enclosure on the underside of the plywood. Not the most attractive enclosure but very simple and practical. Don't worry about using a gauge to measure humidity either. A good measurement is condensation build up on the walls of the enclosure. If your getting condensation then there is plenty of moisture in the air.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
heyprettyrave said:
i bought the plexiglass and it still doesnt seem to be working. i do spray and water the terrarium but it just doesnt seem to hold for very long. so now i am looking into buying a humidifier, are there any you suggest?

From what I can tell there are too many things in the enclosure that are "absorbing"(?) the moisture out of the air.. plus there is nothing to hold the humidity in. You would be well advised to re-do the enclosure - keep it simpler - before spending more $$$ on "stuff" that goes straight up into the air. There must be a [ self-contained ] 'micro-climate' for best results. And you can do that by covering the enclosure and still be able to enjoy watching him.

What are the dimensions/space that you have to work with to provide as an enclosure? Like Mark asked 'what is the substrate'? and what's in the hide for him to crawl "into"?

What are inside those big "hood-things"? You probly need to concentrate your heat and light source more efficiently.

I am/we are not trying to overwhelm you with all of this. You'll work it out.

NERD

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When mine was small I used a half log for a hide. I soaked the hide in warm water , and put a lot of long fibered moss in there. I wet the moss with hot water, and squeezed it out and fluffed it up. I put a lot of moss in there so he would dig into it. Inside the hide was always very humid. I didn't use any light's except a long tube 5.0 UVB on one side and a heat emitter on the other side. Low light, plenty of plants, kept the humidity high. I also covered the whole top with clear wrapping tape except for the hole where the heat emitter was and the long tube light. Everyone does things differently, but this is just what worked for me.
005-7.jpg

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I would just add a 2nd piece of plexi with the crack in the middle and spray often before I scrap anything

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i have the eco earth coconut fiber for substrate. and by meaning i have too much in there, what do you mean? is it harder to keep it humid in a wooden enclosure ? would more plants help me get the humidity up there

i am trying the humid hide today, to see if she will like it

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
yea it's harder to hold humidity in any tort table type enclosure. I know a lot of people on here recommend them but i'm just not a fan, especially for species like a redfoot. They require VERY HIGH humidity, around 80-90% when they are young. Theres just no way your going to get enough humidity unless your enclosure is something fully covered, with sides that aren't wood so it doesn't just absorb the humidity. and yes growing live plants in the enclosure will increase humidity, although they usually don't last long, the tortoise will usually trample or eat everything in it's path! I would try either a plastic tub or a glass aquarium if your wanting to make it look a little nicer. I'm just telling you whats worked for me, some people might do things differently but this is how I've been doing it and it's how it was recommended to me from breeders in my area.
here is my enclosure:
001-1.jpg

016.jpg

Like I said it's pretty simple, but effective!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
ehopkins12 said:
yea it's harder to hold humidity in any tort table type enclosure. I know a lot of people on here recommend them but i'm just not a fan, especially for species like a redfoot. They require VERY HIGH humidity, around 80-90% when they are young. Theres just no way your going to get enough humidity unless your enclosure is something fully covered, with sides that aren't wood so it doesn't just absorb the humidity. and yes growing live plants in the enclosure will increase humidity, although they usually don't last long, the tortoise will usually trample or eat everything in it's path! I would try either a plastic tub or a glass aquarium if your wanting to make it look a little nicer. I'm just telling you whats worked for me, some people might do things differently but this is how I've been doing it and it's how it was recommended to me from breeders in my area.
here is my enclosure:
001-1.jpg

016.jpg

Like I said it's pretty simple, but effective!

Could you try posting those pictures again. I can't see them...don't know if anyone else can.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i had an site for some terrariums i was looking at, and i though they had good prices. though i am unsure, has anyone used these?
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=3

new encl.jpg
and heres another photo

also, i hear mixed things about how humid it is supposed to be, ranging from 60% from the vets and up to 80% on here..what should i be following?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They seem expensive to me, but I never had one custom made. Your enclosure is good, but IMO you need to cover more of it if you want to hold in the humidity. I would concentrate more on the humid hide. If you look on Craigslist you can pick up one for next to nothing. Don't get discouraged, because it took me a long time and a lot of money to finally get it right with my one tortoise.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
thats encouraging, because she stresses me out :) i used the sphagnum moss today and soaked it like you suggested and i do believe she went inside it, because everything was moved around.

here are some photos of Ophelia i took today:
new 1.jpg
new 2.jpg
new  3.jpg

let me know what you think :)

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:) atleast i am doing a good job with her, diet wise and misting her wise. just have to fix the humidity. how large of a tank do you think would last me? i just got out of the 40 gallon and now shes in a dresser (for the future)

Status
Not open for further replies.