Humidity problems

sherlock15

Does anyone of a reliable, relatively cheap , humidity device for my baby red-foot a enclosure? I spray many times throughout the day but it won't stay high enough. I have tin foil on the top of the enclosure too. I have also tried hanging wet sponges on top. the substrate is cypress mulch and forest moss. I live in the north so it's cold and dry here. Any suggestions?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
It's got to be your enclosure. If it's too small and too many air gaps it's going to dry out in no time. Post some pics so we can see what your working with. That's the beauty of closed chambers, they hold humidity wit little to no effort.

feister47

I've had the same problem with keeping frogs. Cover the top with tinfoil or a wet towel. Try to find air spots and cover them. Not sure how it is for torts, but ventilation may be a problem. Ask someone else (tortdad) about that.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll share with you what I use. Not only does it work, but it's cheap,too.
Purchase a small aquarium air pump. The smallest, cheapest one. Also get some air tubing and an air "stone".
Drop the airstone into a container of water that is too tall for your tortoise to fall into. I use a "Chrystal Light" soft drink container partially buried in the substrate for stability.
Re-fill with water as needed.
Also, as already stated, you will likely have to cover at least a portion if not most of your habitat.

Attachments

• image_68.png
    image_68.png
    787.5 KB · Views: 37

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Thank you @crimson_lotus. Yes, I bought a Crane humidifier from target and converted it. It's very quiet and easy to clean. The hose you see attached in the pic is the one from the ZooMed Reptifogger, but you can get vinyl tubing from Home Depot for less than $5. :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428314108.712184.jpg

BobbyJ

I'm new to keeping tortoised as well , one thing I can tell you that I've been doing that seems to help is to keep organic potting soil on the bottom of your enclosure , cover it with maybe 3 inches of cypress mulch , when humidity goes low get some warm water and move the mulch out of te corner and pour the water into the corners , it will disperse into the soil and still keep the mulch dry .. As the water evaporates it will rais humidity .. I also just purchased the reptifogger on Amazon but it hasn't come yet . Good luck

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Let us know how your tort handles the fogger. When I was just starting out with tortoises I had one on a timer and noticed that each time it turned on, my tortoise would run from the mist.