Humidity question

Rudy_the_tort

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi.

I was just after some advice! I keep reading in the forum about humidity, closed chambers etc to help reduce pyramiding and I was wondering if I should put a cover/lid over my tortoise table? It is pretty dry, hygrometer never reads about 20%...

I have a 1 year old (not 100% of actual age) Russian. He's only 38grams. Maybe he is younger?!

Just want to provide the best for him!20180829_183510.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I cover would definitely be a good idea. What you can also do in addition to that, is make sure that you have a thick layer of substrate(4+ inches)that is always damp. You can pour lots of water in and mix. Spraying also helps, but it won’t do much without a cover for the table.

Rudy_the_tort

Scotland
Would a polycarbonate sheet be ok? Cut to size. Do I cover the whole table? I have 4 inches of substrate that I mist about 4xdaily but I will mix in water. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All good advice from each of the previous posters. I agree with them and don't have anything to add. :) Just wanted to offer one more vote in that direction.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hi.

I was just after some advice! I keep reading in the forum about humidity, closed chambers etc to help reduce pyramiding and I was wondering if I should put a cover/lid over my tortoise table? It is pretty dry, hygrometer never reads about 20%...

I have a 1 year old (not 100% of actual age) Russian. He's only 38grams. Maybe he is younger?!

Just want to provide the best for him!View attachment 249893

You could cover with clear Plexiglass. Search Amazon "Source One LLC 1/8 th inch Thick Acrylic Plexiglass Sheet."