humidity questions

Location (City and/or State)
south jersey
everyone says it necessary to keep cherries and reds at 80 to 90 percent humidity, this is virtually impossible so i don't understand why this is when i see hundreds of people keeping torts in open air enclosures or outdoors in places like arizona where there is no where near 80 percent humidity, i also feeling like keeping the humidity that high means nearly soaking the enclosure down and posing a high risk of shell rot to form, what are peoples thoughts on this, is that high of humidity really necessary ?

AmberD

Ontario
Are we talking a baby or an adult? From my research and reading on here, yes it is necessary. They need the high humidity to grow smoothly and healthy even non rain forest species as they hatch out in monsoon seasons. I have a terrarium that I have turned into a closed chamber and find it fairly easy to keep temps and humidity. I spray in the mornings, and dump water into the substrate every couple of days to keep the humidity. I pour the water into the corners so the bottom layer of substrate becomes wet and the top layer is dry-thus no worry for shell rot. I believe the other people keeping in open tables may have outdated information as well as different types of torts and adults vs babies etc.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Not to mention that in hatchlings of any species, lack of humidity can cause kidney failure and very slow growth, along with pyramiding. Like amber said, having a closed chamber makes it very easy to hold humidity.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Keep in mind that where they are found, the humidity is very high.
Redfoot do not exist in dry climates. And do not do well when forced to. Although they are often kept this way. It's really irresponsible. And harmful.
Here in Florida, in Hawaii and other tropical locations, it is just about humid enough for about 9 or 10 months of the year.
But I still use a shower/rain system in the dryer, winter months.
80-90% humidity is NOT impossible. It's actually pretty simple. And without being wet. Really.
Don't give up.
Are you using a closed chamber and do you have dual substrate? A moisture absorbing under layer and upper less absorbent layer?
Like orchid bark with garden soil on top.
I am guilty of just about taking for granted my Redfoot friendly location.
I'm sorry that things are not as simple for everyone. You included.
If you'd like, I can take photos of my very successful closed chamber system. It's for babies and not a large scale enclosure.
Adult Redfoot can do with a little less humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are we talking a baby or an adult? From my research and reading on here, yes it is necessary. They need the high humidity to grow smoothly and healthy even non rain forest species as they hatch out in monsoon seasons. I have a terrarium that I have turned into a closed chamber and find it fairly easy to keep temps and humidity. I spray in the mornings, and dump water into the substrate every couple of days to keep the humidity. I pour the water into the corners so the bottom layer of substrate becomes wet and the top layer is dry-thus no worry for shell rot. I believe the other people keeping in open tables may have outdated information as well as different types of torts and adults vs babies etc.
Agreed
An open top simply can't work for a Redfoot unless it's inside a greenhouse or the patio or terrace of a home located in the tropics.
Redfoot need humidity.