Humidity

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I've asked about this before, but I'm afraid j need more help. I've always struggled to keep humidity up and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I spray it with a bottle, but that doesn't really do a lot. I've tried laying a soaked towel over the top of his enclosure, but that dried out pretty quickly. Anyone can recommend something?
PS: I have a Greek and I've always been told optimal humidity is between 50-60. Is this true?

Thanks!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Don't use a towel to cover. Use plastic sheeting or heavy duty aluminum foil to hold in heat and humidity.

Mary Siarski

5 Year Member
Houston
I pour a gallon of water into my substrate (layer of coco coir topped with fine orchard bark (fir) twice a week. This allows me to maintain the 80% humidity. I do have a fully enclosed chamber though. I agree using plastic or aluminum foil will help more than a towel. What substrate are you usung?

Mary Siarski

5 Year Member
Houston
Sorry when I referenced 80% humidity, I am referring to what we need for sulcatas.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi all,

I've asked about this before, but I'm afraid j need more help. I've always struggled to keep humidity up and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I spray it with a bottle, but that doesn't really do a lot. I've tried laying a soaked towel over the top of his enclosure, but that dried out pretty quickly. Anyone can recommend something?
PS: I have a Greek and I've always been told optimal humidity is between 50-60. Is this true?

Thanks!
Hi. I live in Jordan where the climate is VERY DRY. I therefore spray OLI's :<3: enclosure with water daily, and I give him a soak each and every day. (By the way Oli is a Greek tort too.) ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way to maintain humidity in an open topped enclosure in a dry room. Physics prevents it. I suggest buying or building a closed chamber. This will make it easy to maintain whatever temps and humidity you want since you will not be fighting the room temp and humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA