Lilly_Two

Location (City and/or State)
New York
At the current moment till Christmas my baby leopard is in a 10 gal old fish tank I know that alone isn't good for her to be in so as soon as Christmas comes she'll be getting an upgrade however right now Zarha's humidy keeps dropping pretty quickly and we have just been constantly spraying the substrate with water anyone know the best (cheapish) asceticly pleasing way to keep the humidity up? I've heard a water bottle with holes in it could help but how would I make it fit in with the enclosure?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
At the current moment till Christmas my baby leopard is in a 10 gal old fish tank I know that alone isn't good for her to be in so as soon as Christmas comes she'll be getting an upgrade however right now Zarha's humidy keeps dropping pretty quickly and we have just been constantly spraying the substrate with water anyone know the best (cheapish) asceticly pleasing way to keep the humidity up? I've heard a water bottle with holes in it could help but how would I make it fit in with the enclosure?
Try wetting the soil and close the top with aluminum foil...how are you keeping the temperature up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A 10 gallon is going to be very hard to get the temps right. Get a cheap 50 gallon plastic tote box so the tort can have the proper enclosure now for little money. Even a pop up portable green house is under 50 bucks and can last a couple years if you get a good sized one. The tort needs room to walk, a hide, water and food dishes and to be able to have temps from 80 day and night and a 95-100 basking spot. That's impossible in a 10 gallon. Please read the caresheet below.
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look for ones like this. You can hang the light from the frame, will hold humidity and temps stable once they are achieved and you just have to add a cheap tarp for a floor is it doesnt have one. They come in a few sizes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-080932_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-080932_Chrome.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 15

Lilly_Two

New York
A 10 gallon is going to be very hard to get the temps right. Get a cheap 50 gallon plastic tote box so the tort can have the proper enclosure now for little money. Even a pop up portable green house is under 50 bucks and can last a couple years if you get a good sized one. The tort needs room to walk, a hide, water and food dishes and to be able to have temps from 80 day and night and a 95-100 basking spot. That's impossible in a 10 gallon. Please read the caresheet below.
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/
I'll be getting a much larger enclosure soon as I have now learned that the current one is much too small for her.

Lilly_Two

New York
Try wetting the soil and close the top with aluminum foil...how are you keeping the temperature up?
She has a really good headlamp right now that is keeping it at a good temperature I will be getting a larger area soon for her so she can have all the preferred areas in the enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's one with a screen top so cats can't stick their nosey paws in and harm her but there Is still ventilation.
The screen top that is made for aquariums block a large percentage of the uvb ray's. As soon as you can get that bigger enclosure and make it a closed chamber so all lights and heat are inside the enclosure and the enclosure is closed up. Enough air gets in when you open and close the enclosure for feeding, watering, soaking etc and they are not air tight anyway.

Lilly_Two

New York
The screen top that is made for aquariums block a large percentage of the uvb ray's. As soon as you can get that bigger enclosure and make it a closed chamber so all lights and heat are inside the enclosure and the enclosure is closed up. Enough air gets in when you open and close the enclosure for feeding, watering, soaking etc and they are not air tight anyway.
Alright I believe I'll be making my own custom top for it by cutting out the middle of the top it comes with to put a screen peice in any recommendations on how I should do that? Along with getting the heat and UVB to be set inside the enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm going to see if @Yvonne G will post some of her pics of how she added a frame to some of her enclosures to hang lights etc and to drape plastic to make a closed chamber.