Humidty problems? Cover the enclosure!

jjrene1991

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
We just got a 3 month old red foot. I scoured everything I could to try and fix our humidity problem. What I found was a million and one different opinions on what % it needs to be and how to keep it up. Now I can tell you with certainty, have a good heat source and cover your enclosure! Cover it so that the humidity can not just rise out and escape. I found that have some ventilation works for our situation otherwise the heat and humidity get to high. Unfortunately that's still something you will need to play around with. Also I 100% suggest using the 50 gal sterlite bin to start if you have a baby. It's very spacious, it already has a lid, and because it is plastic you can cut it up and customize it to your tortoises needs. We're working out the finishing touches today. Pictures to follow!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
We just got a 3 month old red foot. I scoured everything I could to try and fix our humidity problem. What I found was a million and one different opinions on what % it needs to be and how to keep it up. Now I can tell you with certainty, have a good heat source and cover your enclosure! Cover it so that the humidity can not just rise out and escape. I found that have some ventilation works for our situation otherwise the heat and humidity get to high. Unfortunately that's still something you will need to play around with. Also I 100% suggest using the 50 gal sterlite bin to start if you have a baby. It's very spacious, it already has a lid, and because it is plastic you can cut it up and customize it to your tortoises needs. We're working out the finishing touches today. Pictures to follow!
You need to get a thermostat to hook your heat source to so it won't get too hot. Like this71n290lSosL.jpgThe thermostat will turn your heat off once it reaches the desired temp. Humidity too high is not something you need to worry about. You can have 100% humidity.

jjrene1991

Sacramento
You need to get a thermostat to hook your heat source to so it won't get too hot. Like thisView attachment 322963The thermostat will turn your heat off once it reaches the desired temp. Humidity too high is not something you need to worry about. You can have 100% humidity.
I've tested all day and it doesn't get to hot, but I'm still going to get the thermostat to be cautious and responsible. Thank you for all your help!

Mendokusaii

The Netherlands
You need to get a thermostat to hook your heat source to so it won't get too hot. Like thisView attachment 322963The thermostat will turn your heat off once it reaches the desired temp. Humidity too high is not something you need to worry about. You can have 100% humidity.
I don't know if you use BNLink Thermostats but if you do, How's your experience with them??