Hunting turtles.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
@domalle

Check the video out. I know it's not what we want to see but interesting to see the flora and how the yellowfoot hides in the moist jungle debris.
Looks like fungi is on the menu. Is fungi rich or poor in vitamins?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is so sad. I know it's a fact of life, but I hate to see it. But, and I know this is why you posted the video - there's really nothing on the ground for tortoises to eat. Only dead leaves. I think we're remiss in not offering more fungi to our tortoises, huh?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That is so sad. I know it's a fact of life, but I hate to see it. But, and I know this is why you posted the video - there's really nothing on the ground for tortoises to eat. Only dead leaves. I think we're remiss in not offering more fungi to our tortoises, huh?
Yes. I don't like the fact they eat tortoises, but that's life, they take what they need only I would imagine.
Your correct I was more interested in the surrounds of their natural habitat.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@domalle

Check the video out. I know it's not what we want to see but interesting to see the flora and how the yellowfoot hides in the moist jungle debris.
Looks like fungi is on the menu. Is fungi rich or poor in vitamins?

Just awarded you the 4700th like. I'm sure wife and the girls would agree with that assessment of Daddy.

I have never seen ours go after shelf fungus but then again, while we have lots of driftwood and cedar logs around for sight barriers and retreats,
none approach that level of decay. Shelf fungi are an indicator of longterm decay, weakened tree limbs and imminent tree failure.

Like @Bambam1989 notes, while tropical soils are reportedly thin, they are rich in organic materials in the process of decomposition and rife with the many organisms that assist that breakdown. All things for yellowfoots to forage for, take advantage of, and seek refuge in.

Both the Northerns and Cherryheads are quick to locate and lop off any sprouted mushrooms on their daily rounds here. The Cherryheads in particular really put their little piggy noses down in the tussocks of vegetation and sniff their way to toadstools. I have even caught them devouring some with ghastly indigo ink blue interiors that I would have sworn would cause a quick and painful demise.

I have heard that mushrooms are a source of protein and offer cultivated ones throughout the year. Seem to be a favorite with all the redfoots.

Cherryheads here are also wild for any earthworms they come upon. Much more so than the Northerns who are a bit more elevated from ground level
in their strides.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@domalle
I was going to start another thread but may aswell use this thread for discussions.

This photo is a bit gruesome. The goat didn't survive the drought they had in Mato Grosso near Rondonopolis that year. Photo is not very good and I'm colour blind. What colour is the head of that Brazilian redfoot?
IMG_2349.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This photo shows a yellowfoot taken from the amazon jungle, and a redfoot taken from northern Mato Grosso State. It's got a yellow head. My friend says this form is found in northern Brazil of Para, Rondonia and Mato Grosso states.
8559fbc7-daa5-4e24-835a-5e42ffb69a59.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is a very old yellowfoot from Manaus. Look how dark it is.
IMG_2353.PNG

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just got some better pictures of his redfoot from Mato Grosso. It has a red AND yellow head. He's saying they are rare to have both red and yellow head markings. So it's not just yellow like I said above, translation mistake.
IMG_2370.PNGIMG_2371.PNGIMG_2372.PNG a327b29d-608b-475f-8d4c-9b3bfd9e827a.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@domalle
I was going to start another thread but may aswell use this thread for discussions.

This photo is a bit gruesome. The goat didn't survive the drought they had in Mato Grosso near Rondonopolis that year. Photo is not very good and I'm colour blind. What colour is the head of that Brazilian redfoot?
View attachment 233116

Blurry but looks yellow. I believe this area is a transition zone. Pantanal wetland lies a little west.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This photo shows a yellowfoot taken from the amazon jungle, and a redfoot taken from northern Mato Grosso State. It's got a yellow head. My friend says this form is found in northern Brazil of Para, Rondonia and Mato Grosso states.
View attachment 233117

If the redfoot is from Para and the northern parts of those other states, that is Northern redfoot territory. He looks dark though so can't say for sure without a plastron shot. And remember, the tortoises get picked up and moved all over the place by the populace. The Pantanal is in the south of Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, and into Bolivia and Paraguay.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If the redfoot is from Para and the northern parts of those other states, that is Northern redfoot territory. He looks dark though so can't say for sure without a plastron shot. And remember, the tortoises get picked up and moved all over the place by the populace. The Pantanal is in the south of Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, and into Bolivia and Paraguay.
I'm telepathic too. :D I've asked him for a plastron shot of his redfoot.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm telepathic too. :D I've asked him for a plastron shot of his redfoot.

The redfoot sure looks like the extra large Pantanal form. They are colorful. Confirm with a dark, dark plastron.
Another tough picture to interpret but because of the skull structure, shell shape and stance, the old well-traveled 'yellowfoot' says antique redfoot to me.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The redfoot sure looks like the extra large Pantanal form. They are colorful. Confirm with a dark, dark plastron.
Another tough picture to interpret but because of the skull structure, shell shape and stance, the old well-traveled 'yellowfoot' says antique redfoot to me.
I agree, that redfoot does look like one of the giants, the headmorph is that of s Bolivian.
I have a video of the yellowfoot and it sure looks like a yellowfoot with the profontal scale formation. Also he says it's very big, if it is then this confirms the redfoot giant because the yellowfoot is dwarfed next to that redfoot. I'll contact him for carapace sizes.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree, that redfoot does look like one of the giants, the headmorph is that of s Bolivian.
I have a video of the yellowfoot and it sure looks like a yellowfoot with the profontal scale formation. Also he says it's very big, if it is then this confirms the redfoot giant because the yellowfoot is dwarfed next to that redfoot. I'll contact him for carapace sizes.

You are right, the Bolivians are like the Pantanal form, just dustier.
The second line in my last post was unclear. I was questioning the ID of the tortoise from Manaus.
The tortoise housed with the redfoot is obviously a yellowfoot.