Hybernation

vegas dad

Location (City and/or State)
henderson nevada
I have my baby tortoise in an indoor habitat because I have critters outside and he just is not big enough to be out there yet. In the aquarium the media is about 4 inches deep because I figured he/she would like to borough. Anyway, he/she shows no sign if hibernation and is eating, basking and walking about his aquarium just like in the summer. Do babies not hibernate?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have my baby tortoise in an indoor habitat because I have critters outside and he just is not big enough to be out there yet. In the aquarium the media is about 4 inches deep because I figured he/she would like to borough. Anyway, he/she shows no sign if hibernation and is eating, basking and walking about his aquarium just like in the summer. Do babies not hibernate?

Without any other info, id say your indoor environment temps are just way too warm to induce hibernation.

What kind of tortoise?

If it’s eating & basking & walking about, it’s not even thinking of hibernating.

How long have you had this tort?

Do you want it to hibernate or no?

vegas dad

henderson nevada
Without any other info, id say your indoor environment temps are just way too warm to induce hibernation.

What kind of tortoise?
plain old American southwest desert tortoise. looks to be a baby as it is only about 3 - 4 inches across the shell.

If it’s eating & basking & walking about, it’s not even thinking of hibernating.
does not appear to be. hides under a log thing in his/her aquarium for shade when not eating or basking

How long have you had this tort?
Yertle joined us in August

Do you want it to hibernate or no?
I really have no preference to be honest. I just thought it was a naturally occurring thing

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I really have no preference to be honest. I just thought it was a naturally occurring thing

It’s naturally occurring when conditions are right for hibernation. Shorter day length, colder and colder temps, less food. But, if you have your tort inside in warm temps and basking lights with food, it doesn't know things have changed (outside).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they do, however, being in the house the baby isn't sensing the cooler temperatures, shorter days, etc. They don't have to hibernate and if you want to continue taking care of him during the winter as you are now, there's nothing wrong with that.