Hydration

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
So I've tried a myraid of methods to keep up with temp and humidity alike, but I can't seem to do so, I can do it with temp, but not quite humidity. My enclosure's humidity always remains at 65-70%. I want to ask, I do soak my sully twice a day, 30-40 minutes per time, is that going to be able to compensate the inadequate humidity? If not, is there any way I can fix this problem with my enclosure?

Some pics of the enclosure:
(it's a closed enclosure, the last pic is the cover with aluminium foil. I do know I need to change the uvb light. Is there too much ventilation? There are also 2 big "ventilation holes" for uva light getting closer to the bottom and for the tube of humidifier entering the enclosure. I also spray water myself every so often, but all those can't seem to help keep up the humidity to at least 80%)

Thank you all in advance1547633618530.jpeg1547633639836.jpeg1547633653329.jpeg

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
So I've tried a myraid of methods to keep up with temp and humidity alike, but I can't seem to do so, I can do it with temp, but not quite humidity. My enclosure's humidity always remains at 65-70%. I want to ask, I do soak my sully twice a day, 30-40 minutes per time, is that going to be able to compensate the inadequate humidity? If not, is there any way I can fix this problem with my enclosure?

Some pics of the enclosure:
(it's a closed enclosure, the last pic is the cover with aluminium foil. I do know I need to change the uvb light. Is there too much ventilation? There are also 2 big "ventilation holes" for uva light getting closer to the bottom and for the tube of humidifier entering the enclosure. I also spray water myself every so often, but all those can't seem to help keep up the humidity to at least 80%)

Thank you all in advanceView attachment 262465View attachment 262466View attachment 262467
Oh and some more holes, in order to get the uvb in the enclosure too. Holes are on all 4 sides. 1547634434501.jpeg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I cant readily tell what kind of substrate you're using, but I might recommend something like coco coir. Soak it in warm water (in a bucket) and apply 3-4" deep to your enclosure. That will go a long way to not only increasing your humidity, but also maintaining it.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I cant readily tell what kind of substrate you're using, but I might recommend something like coco coir. Soak it in warm water (in a bucket) and apply 3-4" deep to your enclosure. That will go a long way to not only increasing your humidity, but also maintaining it.
I'm using coco coir with Orchid bark. But do you think there are too many ventilation holes which allows more water vapour to escape?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm using coco coir with Orchid bark. But do you think there are too many ventilation holes which allows more water vapour to escape?

Yes. There are far too many gaps all along the edge/rim of your enclosure. I see you have some foil, but you now need a much larger “foil tent” over the entire top. The fact that we can easily see inside your enclosure via the gaps means any humidity is just freely flowing out and dry air seeping in.

• I think you really need to rethink your enclosure in terms of size and making it fully enclosed. It also looks like you are using a CFL coiled type lamp as well? Maybe you have since swapped this out.

Good luck. Happy Torting

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Yes. There are far too many gaps all along the edge/rim of your enclosure. I see you have some foil, but you now need a much larger “foil tent” over the entire top. The fact that we can easily see inside your enclosure via the gaps means any humidity is just freely flowing out and dry air seeping in.

• I think you really need to rethink your enclosure in terms of size and making it fully enclosed. It also looks like you are using a CFL coiled type lamp as well? Maybe you have since swapped this out.

Good luck. Happy Torting
What's the recommended size for the tank? I'm working on changing the uvb light into one of those tubes. I will use a bigger piece of foil. Thanks for the reply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What's the recommended size for the tank? I'm working on changing the uvb light into one of those tubes. I will use a bigger piece of foil. Thanks for the reply.
Minimum size I recommend for starting a little baby is 2x4 feet. 61x122cm.

I also agree that if humidity is not staying where you want it, there are too many gaps and too much ventilation in your enclosure.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Minimum size I recommend for starting a little baby is 2x4 feet. 61x122cm.

I also agree that if humidity is not staying where you want it, there are too many gaps and too much ventilation in your enclosure.
So I added more foil. Is that enough? (for the last pic there are also holes on the opposite side) 1547650992005.jpeg1547651003474.jpeg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It could be just the angle you took took your pics, but that substrate seems a bit thin to me. How deep is it?

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle
Usually how long time should we clean the container and change all the old coco coir and put new ones in?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Usually how long time should we clean the container and change all the old coco coir and put new ones in?
I'm not sure there's any hard-and-fast rule for it, but I find myself changing it out about every 3 months. Seems to need it around that time frame.

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle
I'm not sure there's any hard-and-fast rule for it, but I find myself changing it out about every 3 months. Seems to need it around that time frame.
OK. Currently I only put half inch coconut choi. The reason is to make me easy to clean and change it. I usually clean and change it every 1-1.5 weeks. If 3 months is good enough, I think 3-5 inches are fine for me. I can use your way next time.

ariesxiao

5 Year Member
Seattle

Good luck. Happy Torting

For me, I have the same problem. I have a two ceramic lamp and two full spectrum bulb lamp needs to be put into the container to keep the light and temperature but the clip to hold the lamp is outside the container. The setup makes me hard to seal the container. In addition, I need to take the tortoise out to soak and put food in everyday. So I need to make the cover easy to be opened.

Not sure if there is any easy way to do this. Looks it requires very good handy skills and design ideas to make the container to be sealed well with those lamps intruding into the container and also make one side of the cover easy to open for me to pick up tortoise and put food in

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some people use the tent like mini green houses to cover the whole thing and keep humidity up, that could be a short time fix.