So Happy

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
2016-01-04-21-29-24.jpg I'm so happy with Tippie's nighttime temps and humidity. I've been experimenting with lids for his enclosure and I finally found a way to keep the humidity levels steady! Yay!!
(Don't mind the temp, his lamps were off)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Let's see a picture of your enclosure! I want to see how you kept that humidity up. Good job

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Let's see a picture of your enclosure! I want to see how you kept that humidity up. Good job
Here ya go! This was before I cut holes for the lamps (hence the low temps) it is plexiglass. I drilled a few holes for ventilation and larger holes for his lamps. Works like a charm 2016-01-05-00-46-49.jpg 2016-01-05-00-46-49.jpg 2016-01-05-00-46-49.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hate to tell you but those round disk suck . They are never accurate . If you go by a Walmart or Home Depot pickup a digital one . They're like ten dollars or so .

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I remember when I first started converting my enclosure to a closed chamber...what a challenge! I tried at least 5 different ways before giving up and just buying a greenhouse. Although you should make some small changes, I think you should be really proud of yourself! At least you were able to figure out a way to make it work :)

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
I remember when I first started converting my enclosure to a closed chamber...what a challenge! I tried at least 5 different ways before giving up and just buying a greenhouse. Although you should make some small changes, I think you should be really proud of yourself! At least you were able to figure out a way to make it work :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Glad to hear you have night heat. Torts do need total darkness to sleep, and the red bulbs can disrupt their sleep cycle. A CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is the best option because it provides heat (which should be controlled via thermostat) but no light. You can screw the CHE into most light fixtures.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A few plants would also help humidity and add some interest as well as providing a few hiding places for your tort to feel safe under. Spider plants are popular but if shop bought repot them and let any chemical sprays/fertilisers grow out. Cuttings from older safe plants are great. See www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants for food and enclosures

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
A few plants would also help humidity and add some interest as well as providing a few hiding places for your tort to feel safe under. Spider plants are popular but if shop bought repot them and let any chemical sprays/fertilisers grow out. Cuttings from older safe plants are great. See www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants for food and enclosures
I actually need to check that. My dad just bought 4 baby ponytail palms and I was thinking about putting one in there if it's safe.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Glad to hear you have night heat. Torts do need total darkness to sleep, and the red bulbs can disrupt their sleep cycle. A CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is the best option because it provides heat (which should be controlled via thermostat) but no light. You can screw the CHE into most light fixtures.
Like what grandpa turtle posted?