Hypothetical hatchling quarantine question

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
I did a bit of searching and didn't see this question addressed anywhere. I read Will's 'bio-security' thread but I am still not clear if the situation I'm envisioning would be OK or not.

Say I am going to get two groups of hatchlings from different breeders that are about 1-2 months old and I have a 2x6' closed chamber. I wish to house both groups in this chamber but want to keep them separate for a 3-month quarantine period. Would putting a 8-12" tall divider to split the enclosure into two 2x3' sections be sufficient to separate the groups, or is there still a risk if one group becomes ill?

It's my impression from reading the forum that the main risk is mycoplasma, which is transferred by nasal discharge and direct contact. Is there any risk of aerosol transfer of something else in such a setup?

I would obviously use all separate soaking tubs etc. for each group.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did a bit of searching and didn't see this question addressed anywhere. I read Will's 'bio-security' thread but I am still not clear if the situation I'm envisioning would be OK or not.

Say I am going to get two groups of hatchlings from different breeders that are about 1-2 months old and I have a 2x6' closed chamber. I wish to house both groups in this chamber but want to keep them separate for a 3-month quarantine period. Would putting a 8-12" tall divider to split the enclosure into two 2x3' sections be sufficient to separate the groups, or is there still a risk if one group becomes ill?

It's my impression from reading the forum that the main risk is mycoplasma, which is transferred by nasal discharge and direct contact. Is there any risk of aerosol transfer of something else in such a setup?

I would obviously use all separate soaking tubs etc. for each group.
This certainly depends on which organism(s) you are concerned about, but there are several contagions that are airborne, and some can be spread by substrate flys as well.

The vet that I learned from years ago recommend a minimum 6 foot air barrier between enclosures for any quarantine situation. He explained that this doesn't 100% prevent any and all possible contamination, but it works as a pretty good standard for prevention of the spread of most contagions for most situations.

I would not quarantine animals in a divided closed chamber. If you are fairly certain that both sources are "clean" and you really aren't worried about it, and you are willing to suffer the consequences should it go wrong, then you could do it. I'll admit that I've done it before. Both groups were in fact clean and I had every intention of mingling them after a few months anyway.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Makes sense. I suppose all breeders believe their animals are 'clean' but you never know. Like you said, I'd need to be willing to suffer the consequences. Thanks