I Adopted a Russian Tortoise!

Impervious Carapace

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado, USA
His name is Calcifer. I don't know how old he is, Reddit Tortoise says over 20, former owners say 4. He came in an aquarium, I replaced the substrate (formerly 1/4" of dry bark) and am building him a table that's 24"x48" with a tunnel going to another section that is 24"x24". I've been taking him outside to eat and wander around when it is warm enough and bathing and feeding him lots of healthy things. I'm building an outdoor pen that is an octagon with 8' sides, I think it will be big enough.

Instead of feeding him a blend of the recommended plants, I've been giving him a different kind every day, let me know if there is a reason not to do that (he doesn't seem to mind).

My only other concern with him is that his shell might be curling a bit more than usual over his hind legs on the edge. I don't have a great photo of this right now though. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Reactions: Rue

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Welcome to the forum. Letting a dog with a tortoise is very dangerous. Calcifer might get serious injuries. Just to be safe.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I think thats normal if its a slight curl. My russian tortoise has that curl in the back too ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457178260.012032.jpg i dont know if you can see that. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457178306.917508.jpg

Rue

Canada
Congrats! He is very handsome! Do you have pics of your octagonal pen? I am idea-shopping for our outdoor pen build....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I really like it when new members start out by showing us pictures.