I am still crying

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertsss

5 Year Member
My Oscar I have had for over 4 years is dying/dead. Can't tell because she is hiding. As much as I hate to say it I have never cried over a fish. I have not had air conditioning in my house over the weekend. It has been almost 100 constantly. I totally worried about the torts but didn't think about my fish. I am so upset I don't even know what to do with myself. It is totally my fault. Just wanting to vent and advertise how bad heat can be for animals.

desertsss said:
My Oscar I have had for over 4 years is dying/dead. Can't tell because she is hiding. As much as I hate to say it I have never cried over a fish. I have not had air conditioning in my house over the weekend. It has been almost 100 constantly. I totally worried about the torts but didn't think about my fish. I am so upset I don't even know what to do with myself. It is totally my fault. Just wanting to vent and advertise how bad heat can be for animals.

DSC00305.jpg

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awww desertsss I am SO sorry to hear that !!!!! It's not at ALL your fault that your a/c isn't working, please don't blame yourself :( Thinking of you through sad times.
I am positive Oscar had the best life with you :) Keep that in mind!. Hugs xx

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
desertsss sorry to hear of your loss. And a good reminder to everyone about the heat. Hugs

desertsss

5 Year Member
So she is still kickin. I think she stayed alive to say bye to my hubby. He got home and she came out. She is just lying on the bottom of the tank though. Hoping that the cool down of water might help but don't know yet.

desertsss

5 Year Member
So today she is up and eating. Maybe I caught it just in the nick of time. I don't know if we are in the clear yet though. Not eating too much and still a little slow. After I mixed in cooler water she started to move around a little more. Gonna have to watch the temps closely til our a/c gets fixed. Oh my goodness, what a scary ordeal. Thank you for everyones thoughts and prayers I think they are working. And I will keep you posted.

reptic_critter

5 Year Member
That is great! I had fish once, when they acted dead, they really were dead :/ I wasn't as lucky as you. I'm sure he will pull through!

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I'm crossing my fingers she pull thru! Oscars are just the most fascinating fish aren't they?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Just do a slow water change.. too drastic is just as bad and shocky...no icecubes.
Its cooler here today.. hope that helps.

desertsss

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I feel like we brought her back from the dead. I am not too sure, but this is what I think happened. She loves to jump out of the water and hit her head on the glass. Occasionally she will lose a few scales and such. I think when the heat increased so much the bacteria grew exponentially in the tank and might have gotten into her open areas. I am currently pouring slightly cold water in and mixing it twice a day (with the water conditioners and things). She does need a water change but as you said, I don't want to shock her any right now. When our hand goes in to cyphen she always freaks out. Beautiful fish but tempermental and a biter. Gonna give it a couple more days. She is back to eating almost as much as she was before. I wouldn't usually be worried about a biting fish, but she is over 8 inches and has drawn blood on me before just when I was feeding her, she jumped out and bit me. (actually left a little scar) LOL. I love that girl. :) Thanks for all your words and thoughts, I am still concerned for her, but her personality is back which to me means a lot. Will still keep you posted.
:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Funny that you would say that. I used to have a 50 gallon aquarium and it only had the cover with the light. So that only covered about half lengthwise of the aquarium. My two oscars loved to jump. I can't tell you how many times I rescued one or the other of them from behind the couch or under the aquarium stand. They would usually be dry and stuck with dog hair and dust. I'd wash them off and put them back into the water and after a minute or two they'd be good as new! An amazing fish!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.