I did it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
So I was at the pet store buying some coco coir... There was a baby redfoot tortoise who was absolutely cute. He must be just four inches, maybe a little bigger. He was so light when I picked him up. He must be two or three times the size of my baby russian that hatched in Feb. However, he is MUCH lighter...
Stupid me brought him home, as I felt so sorry for him. The pet store stated he was not really eating and they were feeding him only romaine.
Anyway, I tried some banana with him, no tortoise can resist banana and I wanted to make sure he was OK. He ate a little and I noticed a strange banana color under his hide. I wasn't sure if he had gotten sick or what. I do not want to keep him outside until I know he is OK. I did take him out today and he was walking around eating grass, dandelions and clover.
I just wanted to make sure he was OK, as he did forge for food outside today... Any help would be appreciated....
The other redfoots I rescued from the same store seem to be doing great now!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They usually feel light when they are terribly dehydrated. It's going to take many forced soaks to get him right. It might even be a good idea to give him sub-Q fluids for a bit.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I bought him Friday night. I soaked him then and at least three times today and yesterday. I will keep at it and give him/her some juicy foods for a bit.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Yeah dehydration is more important then food, good luck in the little guy. And how dare you not have a picture! Lol

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Lol :) he is sleeping now, I can get a good pic of him tomorrow. I bought him at a local pet store here in PA. Several months ago, I found a male and female redfoot with terrible pyramiding. I rescued those too. I think it might be a wise decision not to go back. Their animals are pricey and not taken care of. They offered me $25 for each of my Russian babies. I declined as I did not think they would be well taken care of and understood they had overhead, but that was a ridiculous offer!

turtlelove23

5 Year Member
Congratulations on the little guy :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

socialworker81

5 Year Member
In Erie. I would rather shop at a local pet store, but this is very discouraging. There is a local pet food store I went to find mazuri. No one carries it here, at least not for torts. The owner ordered me a whole box of one pound bags. He said he had to buy it buy the box. I am sure I could have found it cheaper online, but wanted to support his business. One bag left and I will order from him again!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369080498.593793.jpg

It didn't look like the little guy ate any food today. But hopefully he will eat some dandelions while I have him outside! I keep soaking him and he's not lethargic. Here's hoping for the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.