I don't think my turtle cn open her mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Hello,

I have noticed that my turtle has stopped eating .. I am unsure if it is because she cant open her mouth or wont. I took a few pictures and even tried to file it, but have had no luck. this is worrying me... hopefully I can get some advice on what to do
IMAG1837_zps27f63174.jpg.html

IMAG1836_zpsf9993fe5.jpg.html

IMAG1838_zps0cb6eb3a.jpg.html

IMAG1840_zpsd6d341b0.jpg.html

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
U have to send the pictures again....

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
ok..i wll try again..for some reason the way I use to do it is not working..I have been on TFO for a long time..maybe they changed the settings....

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
How many day she been that way? Also is her right eye always closed?

Did u soak her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The beak is overgrown, but that shouldn't inhibit the opening of the mouth. By the looks of the eye, there is something else going on with the turtle. Do you soak her?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yvonne G said:
The beak is overgrown, but that shouldn't inhibit the opening of the mouth. By the looks of the eye, there is something else going on with the turtle. Do you soak her?

Sorry..Lefty only has one eye..I got her that way...and yes I do soak her

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
How many day she been that way? Also is her right eye always closed?

Did u soak her?

Lefty is missing an eye...I got her that way

I should also add that I hve noticed she stopped eating after laying about 5 eggs...all but one broke and were rather deflated....I am trying to file her beak with a emery board for human nails...she wont eat the cuttle bone, not eat any food.....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post more information about your box turtle's set up . Maybe a picture of your enclosure . Temperatures ,humidity ,and food will be helpful . It seams your box turtle is sick for some reason. Have you seen any discharge out of it's nose ,any noise when breathing? Do you have Uvb or let him get outside Sun time ?

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Im with mike...need more info ,and pics of enclosure. Is she inside all day or outside

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I have been a member of this forum long enough to know that my set up is substantial. there is no discharge, from nose or eyes..breathing is normal, not heavy and no wheezing...the only thing is she wont open her mouth...she drinks when she soaks..and has been in her water. I m taking her to the rep vet tomorrow

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok sorry didn't know . Just trying to help you out . I did not see the egg post till I already posted my questions . It may have have a broken egg in her?????? Good luck hope everything goes well .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yes thats what i was thinking...beeing egg bound...let us know what the vet.said...
Also a warm longer soak with warm water or warm steam ..warm not hot,can help to release it

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Is she getting enough calcium supplements? Eggs that are breaking could point to a calcium deficiency.

"A sickly female that is allowed to breed may form thin-shelled eggs that easily break within her or don't develop properly. A female with a damaged shell should not be allowed to breed. There may be internal damage to her pelvis which will not allow the eggs to pass out. Eggs retained in the body will cause death unless they are surgically removed."

-Taken from http://boxturtlesite.info/breed.html#breedpair

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
dannel said:
Is she getting enough calcium supplements? Eggs that are breaking could point to a calcium deficiency.

"A sickly female that is allowed to breed may form thin-shelled eggs that easily break within her or don't develop properly. A female with a damaged shell should not be allowed to breed. There may be internal damage to her pelvis which will not allow the eggs to pass out. Eggs retained in the body will cause death unless they are surgically removed."

-Taken from http://boxturtlesite.info/breed.html#breedpair

I put my male in with Lefty last year around October.. My male mounted Lefty and didn't not release her for about 3 hrs. I then separated them and have never let them be together again. My male is house separately. Lefty just laid eggs about 3 weeks ago..so she must have stored the sperm (they can for up to 4 yrs)so determinating that she laid 5 eggs she might have another...idk..but I am giving her warm soaks nightly

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My male boxie did the same thing to my precious female!! It was over 3 hours!! Never again!!
I got him a couple rocks instead!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.