Status
Not open for further replies.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
NOT on it, over it.

I found this guy in the street in a subdivision this morning, being tormented by birds.

I saw the birds near something in the street and as I got closer the birds flew away and I thought it was some kind of trash or food item. As I went over top of it I thought that looked like a turtle!!! So, since no one was coming I hit the brakes and put it in reverse, backed up so that I could see it from my drivers door and sure enough, this little guy was just sitting there. So I took him home.

Understand that I live in Arizona and these guys are not native here and he would not have lasted very long on the street.

Yes, I am sure somebody's pet got out and I am going to make an attempt to get it back to the owner, if I can get somebody to claim it.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank goodness you were there. Poor little guy he was probably scared so bad. I just love the boxies they are the cutest. :D

S

Scooter

He is adorable! So glad you were there to save him from the birds.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
actually I believe the desert box turtle is native to arizona? Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe it is a native species.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, we do have desert box turtles in parts our state, I don't live in the areas where they are. This is not one of them, it is a 3 toe.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I double checked and there are 6 species of boxies native to arizona, including but not limited to desert box, and ornate, that l believe is a desert box.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Nice find! Did u have to crazy glue his carapace or did he survive intact?

There is an Audobon iPhone app for reptiles and you can report sightings to aid the boxie census.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
I am glad now that I looked at this thread~ it looked like a real downer (from the subject line) after a looong day at work... so I wasn't sure about 'having a peek'-- I am glad now that I took the chance! Very positive! Thank you for saving him from either the birds or being road-kill! I look forward to hearing "the rest of the story" and what journey he has ahead of him... :)

Have a pleasant week!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks just like my childhood turtle, Tommy. He was sold to us as a "Western Box Turtle". Those pics were like a time machine. The memories came flooding back. I haven't seen him for over 20 years, but he looked just like that!

Where's Danny? Please ID this one for us. Pretty please.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
He looks very much like my juvie Three Toed. If it is a Three Toed, it really couldn't make it in the Arizona desert could it?

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
terryo said:
He looks very much like my juvie Three Toed. If it is a Three Toed, it really couldn't make it in the Arizona desert could it?

I feel that he is a three toed box turtle. Ihave kept them here in NM. It was in a large well planted back yard with cinder block walls and good gates. The yard had large shade trees and lots of plants and shallow 3inch pond. It definitly was a micro climate. I dont think that they would live out in the desert. Good luck with finding the owner. Thank You for saving him. I shudder to think in all of my travels how many turtles and other animals that I have seen people purposly run over. Luckyhim.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
terryo said:

No it wouldn't survive in the desert, although this guy was in the middle of town in a subdivision (as I stated before), far from the desert areas.

However, even the native desert box turtle doesn't (can't) live in the part of the desert that I live in. If you go to the link I posted, click on the turtle and the again on the individual animals and it shows what they look like, where in the state they do live and give the types of habitat and elevations where they can be found. They would be found at a much higher elevation than where I live with a much different habitat.

I would have to drive at least 2 hours to get to the closest of those areas.

M

Maggie Cummings

CGKeith said:
terryo said:

No it wouldn't survive in the desert, although this guy was in the middle of town in a subdivision (as I stated before), far from the desert areas.

However, even the native desert box turtle doesn't (can't) live in the part of the desert that I live in. If you go to the link I posted, click on the turtle and the again on the individual animals and it shows what they look like, where in the state they do live and give the types of habitat and elevations where they can be found. They would be found at a much higher elevation than where I live with a much different habitat.

I would have to drive at least 2 hours to get to the closest of those areas.

He's beautiful, obviously someones pet. He's in much too good shape to be wild. I am glad you found him.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Didn't think I needed to as Keith was doing just fine with IDing the box turtle he found. :D But because I was asked :p yes it is a Three-toed box turtle.

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks to everyone. This thread has just solved a 30 year mystery for me. My first chelonian was a three toed box turtle back in 1979.

Sorry for the hijack Keith. Good luck with either finding the owner or keeping your new turtle.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
My Audubon Reptile iPhone app shows 3 boxies and Keiths find is undoubtably a 3 Toed. Cool app

Status
Not open for further replies.