I GOT THE "BLUES"

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Chesapeake Bay.. that is..

SMILE -

( the white coated wire is to stabilize the floating cork-bark basking spot )

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks like they all smile at you.

Too bad that my wife don't like them.:(:(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bouaboua said:
Looks like they all smile at you.

Too bad that my wife don't like them.:(:(

It is too bad. Maybe if you keep showing her pictures of them. They are wonderful animals.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They are beautiful Terry. Here where I live we have a pond that empties into the bay and at the most narrow part there is brackish water and there are loads of Northern DT's there. They are not nearly as pretty as the Concentric DT's. Someone took two babies from the edge of the pond a few years back, and raised them. She gave them to me, and we put them in my friends turtle pond. They were raised with plain water, not brackish water. Are your's in regular water or do you keep them in the brackish water? These are the two Northern's that she gave me. A male and a Female.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
They are beautiful Terry. Here where I live we have a pond that empties into the bay and at the most narrow part there is brackish water and there are loads of Northern DT's there. They are not nearly as pretty as the Concentric DT's. Someone took two babies from the edge of the pond a few years back, and raised them. She gave them to me, and we put them in my friends turtle pond. They were raised with plain water, not brackish water. Are your's in regular water or do you keep them in the brackish water? These are the two Northern's that she gave me. A male and a Female.

Terry I've tried fresh and brackish water.. and I'm going with brackish this summer with a smaller tub attached with fresh water to feed them in. I intend to make a "bridge" to attach them so they can choose which they want to stay in. Terrapins can only ingest/drink certain amounts of salt before they have to drink fresh water. I'm finding that regardless how well fresh water is filtered and sterilized it still has an effect on how their carapace develops, etc.

Diamondback Terrapins were created to live in brackish water! I've raised hatchlings since 2009.. a friend of mine raised hatchlings in brackish water and fed them daily in fresh water - his look absolutely perfect.. mine do not! The skin in fresh or brackish does not seem to be affected but the carapace in fresh has a much rougher surface appearance.. almost like it's dried out! We both are feeding the same things!

Look at his carapace - brackish water -

fresh water -

Virtually the same age!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Unbelievable! You can't see it in the pictures I took, but their carapace is also rough. I was wondering about that, but now I know that since they were raised in fresh water that's what must have happened. I know my friend took them in for the Winter, and they are in a fresh water tank. Is it possible to change the water over now since they are used to the fresh water?

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Couple things i wanna add on here:
First terryo that both of yours are defiantly males haha. Way too large of tails on them to be female ^_^

Next about the shells. Dbts and fresh water. Ive basically come to the conclusion its all about your water and where it comes from. Plenty of people house Dbts in freshwater and have smooth perfect shells and have no problems. Others like me including you probably have slightly higher mineral concentrations in their water and messes with their shells. Alot of mine get that white shell haze effect with dry shell look. Others do not and they look perfect. Why some get and others dont i have no clue. At the end of last year i was experimenting with how much salt do i need to add to stop this. Not enough time to get conclusive results though.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Terryo.. was waiting for 4Life to say exactly what I was going to say.. everything! And yes the one on the left has quite a rough carapace.

The tails of females are half that size and their heads a good 50% wider/bigger

4Life last summer I had a little 'skin' issue and cranked the salinity up to about 1.018 for about a week - it didn't phase them a bit.. [ fed them in fresh water during the salt treatment ] and the issue came clean. Then gradually took it back down to fresh again.. which is where they have been since.

Great thread.... thanks all..... anybody looked at the new page?

http://redfoottortoisebreeder.com/images.htm

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Yeah!! I don't know much about these guys as I've never had any before. She told me they were male and female, and I just took her word. The only time I've ever seen them were in their natural environment where I go hiking.....a beautiful sight to see. Maybe this Summer I can get some pictures of them, if I ever go hiking again. LOL